DSB out for a while.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by clinton stanford, 4 May 2010.

1. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

hi Hennie.

my sump cracked last week friday:( my DSB has been running for eight months now and there is a lot of life in there.
    so i had to remove my DSB from the sump wich cracked and i have put it in a blastic tub for the meantime untill my new sump is biult.i have a loaned sump for the meantime.but i dont see the point in adding the DSB to the loan sump and then taking the whole DSB out again in (hopefully) a month or two.
    so what i wanto know is ,what would be the best way to try and keep all the life in there alive,including my macro algeas.i have the DSB lights over the tub.
    ill post a pic to show you what i have done.
    any advice would be appreciated:)
    thanks.

[​IMG]

this is what it will be in untill my new sump is built.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

i think most of the anearobic bacteria would have been killed off in the move and the aerobic bacteria will die off as the food becomes scares. probly the best thing to do is use a small heater and circulation pump to keep what evers left going till you get your new sump.

4. clinton stanford

clinton stanford Thread Starter

hi Butcherman.i have a very small pump 50Lph that i can put in there.
    ill get a small heater.
    thanks for the advice;)

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

butherman's advice is spot on..

6. vatso

vatso

Why not put the DSB bucket in the loan sump & have water running over it as normal & when you need to replace the sump you just pick the plastic bucket up? that will keep the DSB going

7. clinton stanford

yeh i will do that tonight;)

i thaught about that,but the bin wont fit into the sump:( ill go with Butcherman's advice,i think its the best option for now;)

8. Boegie

Boegie

I have also started a new DSB because I upgraded my sump. My big wish is that the LFS would sell fireworms, gammarid amphiphods, nassarius snails, etc. and cheato of course but no.
    That live you got going there from the old DSB is presious and difficult to get. So trying to save it is very important. If I may ask, where did you get the worms, etc?

9. clinton stanford

hi Boegie.when i started my DSB i got some sand from a friend's DSB wich had been running for a long time.this helped to seed my DSB.there were lots of worms and other life forms that helped seed it.then from there they just multiplied.i also added some macro algeas and cheato which also helped.

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

What you have done looks good, under the circumstances.

I agree with butcherman regarding the anaerobic bacteria, and the die-off of the aerobic bacteria due to a lack of food. I would suggest that if you cannot link the tub into your system (and I agree that it probably won't be practical or safe), you should at least change as much of the water as possible with fresh tank water every day. This way, you will still be filtering some of your tank water (removing nitrite and ammonia/um) and you will be feeding your filtration bacteria at least something...

I like Vatso's suggestion about putting the tub into the loan sump, but if that's not possible then it won't work.

You don't seem to have very much sand - another alternative would be to just add this sand to your display tank, and start a new DLSB once the new sump is in operation. I personally have a DLSB in both my DT and sump, and believe that's the best way to go (unless you have a very high flow SPS only type of setup).

Hennie

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the sand has been dug into thus exposing the denitrifying bacteria to oxygen so i wouldent risk it.. id personally leave a thin layer in the tub for seeding purposes when the hew dsb is put in place.. i think clinton is more into trying to preserve the podlife etc etc than the anerobic bacteria itself..

corect me if i am wrong clint

12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

You are right 100% roght Leslie, like I said earlier most of the bacteria has or will die off shortly and will have to start again. By adding flow and heat like i suggested Clinton can keep the other life in the dsb alive ie pods etc

Clinton when you move the DSB back to the new sump the bacteria will mostly die off again. so you can expect a cycling in thetank when you do.

As for leaving all of the sand of only a thin layer, dose it really matter since all the bacteria will die off anyway, IMO rather keep it as is and keep whats alive in there alive so as to minimise the die of of non bacterial life?

13. clinton stanford

i dont think i wanto add the sand to my display tank.ill just keep changing as much water as i can on a daily basis.im not to worried about the anaerobic bacteria.like Butcherman said it has mostly died off when i removed the DSB,im more worried about the pods,critters,worms and my macro algeas staying alive.
    thank you Hennie for your help its much appreciated:)

yip you right bud;) i wanto try and keep the pods ect ect alive.

thank you so much for your advice Butcherman.im going to keep it as is untill i get the new sump.i added a small pump for water circulation and ill be getting a small heater tomorrow.ill be changing as much water from the tub as i can daily with tank water like Hennie suggested.

Thank you all for your help and advice,its much appreciated;)

Recent Posts