DSB or NP media reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ReefStudent, 10 Feb 2013.

1. ReefStudent

ReefStudent

Hay guys

I would like to know what would be the better bet for my nano (60w 50h 50d)

As my sump space will be really limited I was thinking of rather going for a media reactor and get NP pellets than using a DSB in the sump. The reactor i was looking at is a MF-800B Media Reactor with 2000l/h feed pump (reef octopus).

Is there any other methods I am overlooking or would this be perfect? And if the reactor is a good choice, what NP pellets would you recommend?

Sorry on all the questions at once but this is still really troubling me!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Go with orca bio cubes , works great

4. crispin

crispin

i would also suggest going with orca cubes, far less space for the impact you would have and thus on a nano with limited sump space it should help alot

5. yster

yster

The MF-800B Media Reactor is a good choice and could be used externally thus not taking up space in the sump. Just make sure to use it for pellets only and not another media as well even though its a multi-media reactor.

6. pkc

pkc

What are you applying it to?
    Nitrite, nitrate, the complete nitrogen cycle, phosphorus or something else?

7. ReefStudent

ReefStudent Thread Starter

I want something to filter out nitrates and phosphates yes @pkc
    @crispin whats the difference between the Ocra Nitra Guard and the titanium cubes? Would i need Nitra-Guard and Phospha-Guard? How do i put them in the sump? just in their bags in medium flow water?

sorry for the silly questions! Still a beginner

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. ReefStudent

@reefExpress will maybe also like to join this conversation... Especially because of the ORCA products being talked about

9. ReefStudent

10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Nitra Guard removes PO4 and NO3 in a stochiometric ratio, whereas the Titanium cubes remove NO3 in environments where PO4 is undetectable.... Best solution is to use just the normal cubes with an airstone, aka "the bomb" method:
    Follow this link: http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=35930

Once your NO3 is rock bottom, then use Phospha Guard GFH in a fluidised reactor. With pellets and a dsb you will still nee to use a PO4 remover as well, so in terms of cost, it really is a no-brainer.
    Yes, a dsb can be set up for really cheap, but for it to be really effective, you need it to cover an area equivalent to a bare minimum 75% of your tank floor in your sump..

11. pkc

pkc

The best way to get a large area of nitrate reduction in a small area is to go up not across, like multi story buildings.

This one that has six feet of bed all up under a three foot tank that i built around 14 years back after I built one for a mate on an idea I had. The thing achieved zero nitrates from one month in his no matter how much life he ran in the display tank. It doesn’t remain high functioning with out settling pre filters though. They take up four inches of width space. This one is in the end inside of the coral chunks set into a sleeve, between the coral.
    [​IMG]

This is a way of space saving to give a massive bed area of nitrate reduction. This is a small example,400w by 450h by 500 millL, of the one I use now.
    [​IMG]

The algae area nocks off all nutrients, inorganics and toxins.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2013
Recent Posts