Dsb or matrix

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Aurora, 17 Apr 2015.

1. Aurora

Aurora

Hi guys

Got a question for you.

I have a DSB in my sump of 450x300x300deep I was thinking of taking all sand out and filling the whole thing with seachem Matrix.

My thinking is the matrix will do more than a small dsb.

What do you think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zippy

zippy

Barend on the forum has Matrix in his DSB, what are you battling with in terms of Nutrients?

4. 4age

4age

wat size is your tank

5. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

I previously had a DSB that was almost suficient in terms of my tank size. In my new build I however opted to go with Seachem Matrix. I based this on advise received and reading. So only my opinion, and what I went for - but I would say that if you don't have a very large DSB, Matrix is a better option.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm running Matrix on my sons TL550. OK its not a standard TL550 anymore, got a sump and proper skimmer.

On my main system I also run about 6Kg Matrix. With my DSBs in place.

My brother is running a Malawi setup, with about 3kg Seachem Matrix. This malawi tank got a sump that is very much like a marine sump. But first chamber got layers of filter wool mats.

In all these systems it is set up in such a way that allows water to rather run through the matrix. Cannot go around. TL550 it flows from to top to bottom, and other 2 from bellow upwards.

Strange part is we removed the Malawi Matrix after about 6 months to clean out the sump. Expected a lot of settlement within the Matrix. The bit that was there was of no concern. He got more settlement in the next chamber. Same on my main system. I find a lot of settlement on my DSB, after the matrix. I need to siphon it off at least every second weekend. Must be due to my setup where the water is forced to run through the Matrix, constantly flushing out any possible settlement.

7. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

I actually run my Matrix (4L) in a skimz reactor - probably not the ultimate solution, but it seem to be working.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Bit more info. On the Malawi tank and my own system. The first "baffle" is setup to be about 8cm wide. Creating a mini upflow chamber.
    at the bottom it got a eggcrate piece supported on a few 20mm PVC pipes laying horizontally. The gap under first panel is also 20mm. On top of the eggcrate is a fine plastic mesh, garden netting from Chamberlains. On top of that is the Matrix. To fill up the chamber.

In the beginning some of the Matrix rocks do float. So we used another piece of net with a few white round garden pebbles on top to keep it in place. We removed this later as its not needed anymore.

9. Aurora

Aurora Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

My display is =/- 600L. Sump is 100L.

I want to run matrix to see if I can get more stable water parameters and less hair algae.

Just think a small DSB isnt as effective as matrix.

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

matrix and a dsb are 2 different animals...

matrix will house aerobic bateria in high flow, and in slow, very slow flow will become a de-nitrator not both at the same time, where as a DSB can do both at the same time.

So if you running matrix for aerobic bacterial filtration then you will need to have another solution for nutrient export, eg bio-cubes or vineger

butcherman likes this.
  11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

dallas is 100% correct dsb is the last part of the nitrogen cycle, matrix is for the first half

12. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

So matrix removes nitrate in slow flow and ammonia and nitrites in high flow?

13. dallasg

seachem matrix and seachem de-nitrate are the same media just with different sizes, using any filter media in a slow flow no/low oxygen environment will create a "de-nitrator"

14. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

15. dallasg

you can build a highly effective denitrator from an old canister filter that works like a bomb

Recent Posts