DSB or LR sump

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by the fish, 21 Jun 2012.

1. the fish

the fish

Good evening everyone.

i would like to pose a question that i know there is a lot of dispute about. is a DSB in sump good or is LR better? and if the sump is big enough can you actually have both of them?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

Would also love to know for the new build im doing. DSB looks like its allot more complicated.

4. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

DSB's are really not that complicated!

Yes, they take some time to mature and to start working, but once they get going, they just do the job. Hassle free.

And yes, you can place LR on your DSB, just make sure it does not block the flow.

Some reading in case you missed it:
    DSB Setup for Beginners - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

5. brentch

brentch

With a DSB you would generally get better denitrification, with more hypoxic surface area to colonise... IMO, both are a must for nitrification (nitrifying- NH4 ---> NO2/3; mostly by bacteria on LR) and denitrification (NO3---> N2; Mostly in DSB and some deep in LR). If you have enough LR in your display, you could probably just go with a bigger DSB in your sump...

It's really easy... Follow Gesiggie's link and you'll be fine:thumbup:

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the price of Live rock compared to playsand?

Why pay through your whatever for rock you then hide in your sump? Rather use it in your display.

And then, sand offers a lot more surface area for bacteria than live rock could.

7. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

so from all this i can basically take that i should keep the LR in the DT and go for DSB in the sump? does make sense and everything but if you are running a nanno? can both be added if you have the sump? i know for a DSB that you need some space in your sump but is there a way that a person can still have both? say your sump is only 600mm wide and 350mm high and 350mm wide? would it be better to run LR or can a DSB be fit in somehow?

8. shaunn

shaunn

i have had both

first LR did not work to well coz i did not have that much in the sump

Dsb currently it seams to be working well i am also dosing the Red sea PH4/N03 Algae Care Program and i am starting to see results

the fish likes this.
  9. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

here are my view points
    start with R.E.E.F methodology - Reliable, Efficient, Easy Filtration
    it might snow but DSB performs better, it fits all 3 criteria for me, have as big dsb as you can, need a nice large surface area, its easy to do, and while its efficient it will take time to mature, i recommend if you going with a sandbed to cycle the tank for 4 weeks+ after seeding it with bacteria and FOOD source to get it rolling, remember the FOOD source - ammonia - so that the bacteria can grow and not wither away, i use seachem stability and frozen shrimp meat for this. you can use the LR in your tank as part of the filtration anyway. the issue i have with LR only, Berlin Method if used with a skimmer, is that normally in the beginner months of a tank there is a lot of algae etc growing on the rocks thus inhibiting the performace of it, and the more coraline algae the "waterproofs" the rock the less it performs too.

these are my experiences, so a DSB with some LR suspended on the DSB and in the tank LR will be a great way to start

the fish likes this.
  11. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

shot @dallasg. i was just wondering on how to go about this. because in the ocean your filters are a DSB and LR. and to have both in sump and also your LR seems to be the ultimate filtration? But you can also have a sandbed in your tank tank where the bacteria will be able to grow even if its not very deep? so how im thinking right now is that not only does your sump do most of the filtration some of it happens in your tank? am i right or am i thinking like a noob here?:blush:

12. dallasg

yes you are right, bacteria grow everywhere, if you left your hand in long enough it will grow there too :)

you can even have a SSD, shallow sand bed, or DSB in tank as well. for obvious reasons SSB wont act as a good dentirator

13. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

@dallasg i understand and thanx for the awesome advice +1 to your rep there:peroni:

14. dallasg

shotto
    keep us posted

15. shaunn

shaunn

this is how my sump is set up i have LR and a DSB

[​IMG]

16. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

Initially i was thinking of doing the exact thing as per the below picture. I was told to not put rock on a DSB because it creates dead spots and breaks the flow?

Also how long does a DSB last untill you have to replace it? I heard they only last for a year? How in the world would you replace all that sand without releasing the harmfull stuff into your system?

17. shaunn

shaunn

18. shaunn

shaunn

by stopping the return pump and replacing all the water in ur sump ;)

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what part?
    this part.
    Well, that is not to bad. Its bad when your liverock covers almost all the exposed surface area. In that picture it looks like there is enough open sand areas. Plus the rock provide housing for copepods, micro bristle stars and bristle worms.

that is nonsense. A properly seeded DSB would last years, longer than most setups. Remember, a DSB is a closed society. With the different life forms at war with each other for living space. Eventually some organisms will die out, leaving a lot less diverse community behind. You need to reseed your DSB at times. Just a cupful of sand from a fellow reefers system. From his disease free system. Just to introduce new organisms to upset the ruling organisms.

Unless you got a lot of settlement on top of your sand, basically blocking it and sealing it off, then your DSB would we OK for years. If you have to much settlement then upgrade your return pump.

Or use filter sock. But I do not like a filter sock, as you starving the worms and copepods you want in your DSB.

CocaColaza likes this.
  20. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

Thanks Riaanp. I am going back to my original plan then and use my first chamber for my skimmer, second for a DSB with some LR on it and the 3rd for my return pumps and some more LR.

21. dallasg

there are many ways to skin the DSB cat, each has its pros and cons, but one must decide what benefit and usage we expect from it to decide how to go about it

Recent Posts