DSB move

Reaction score
Can I move my DSB ? Will all the nitrite loving bacteria die off if oxygen if introduced into the substrate ?

If your dsb is is not local sea sand and is less than a year old; should be ok. IMO delay adding livestock a day or two. I would also run bigger quantities of carbon during, and then phos absorber after, adding stock. Goodluck

If your dsb is is not local sea sand and is less than a year old; should be ok. IMO delay adding livestock a day or two. I would also run bigger quantities of carbon during, and then phos absorber after, adding stock. Goodluck

Thanks, livestock are going into Quarantine, so plenty days.

Hi sunburst,

why do you say that? my dSB is made of local sea sand and i am planning on moving in 6 months time (dsb 7 months old then).

Hi sunburst,

why do you say that? my dSB is made of local sea sand and i am planning on moving in 6 months time (dsb 7 months old then).

Andreas please do not take my word as Gospel. It is an opinion. However an opinion that i would like to share in the hope that when the time comes you will be aware of the potential dangers.

A DSB, especially the healthy established ones will all have matter in various stages of decomposition, in layers like an onion. And the bi-products from past waste leaving behind a lethal cocktail if released suddenly; deadly. Sea sand when collected has an enormous amount of life already present...., a lot of which will not make the transition. Where does all this dead and dyeing waste go, if not exposed to the vagaries of oxygen?

Hi Sunburst - also - just my opinion, mind you ;-)
I use natural sea sand in both my tanks. I know what you are talking about, when you say "die off". BUT, this only occurred in the sand I collected for my 2nd tank (my 1.2 metre). I cycled this tank for +-2 months before I put any life in it. WITH this sea-sand that had die-off in it. It worked out 100% fine for me.... The nitrates in the tank is now staying WAY below 2..... As far as my test-kit shows.

Back
Top Bottom