DSB light

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
I was looking at the regu lightsbut could not find a nice one for a nice price, so i went to the local light shop and asked for a spot light thing. I got a eurolux 150watts mount for R60 then a nice Halgon bulb for R20 and a timer for R40. this light is very bright and extremely cheap. It is yellow light so its not good for a DT but is perfect for Cheoto and pods. Here are some pics:

DSC00325.jpg

Here is the bulb.

DSC00321.jpg

The simple wireing plug and lead cost me R10

DSC00318.jpg

And the light it gives over the tank, dont mind my sump i am upgreading soon to Uncle SPS's sump. Also getting a seperate refug. The Choeto is already doing awsome.

DSC00326.jpg

Hope this helps some one out there.

Reaction score
Wicked dude, run that light for 10 hours a day, and you will have more chaeto than you can handle in no time.

Reaction score
put in a MH globe in that spotlight, running for 10h like warr said and you will have uncle "IT"
running out that sump man

Quinton

Smarty-pants Newbie
Reaction score
Halogen bulb efficiency is rather low. So it would probably pay you to to spend a little bit more on a basic fluorescent setup - it will pay for itself by reducing your electricity bills.

This site gives the following figures. We'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to convert watts into rands (anyone know that the current Escom price per kilowatt is?)

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting.html
  • 32 watt T8 fluorescent--85 to 95 lumens/watt
  • standard F40T12 cool white fluorescent--60-65 lumens/watt
  • compact fluorescents--low 30's to low 60's lumens per watt, usually 48-60
  • T3 tubular halogen--20 lumens/watt
  • white LED--15-19 lumens/watt
  • standard 100 watt incandescent--17 lumens/watt
Q