DSB introduction

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dickw, 19 Sep 2013.

1. dickw

dickw

HI, I have just built a "add in" DSB. Due to my tank and stand config this is a separate tank which syphon feeds from original sump.

I have now installed the tank and went and got sea sand from waist deep water at spring low tide and put in sump to depth of 200mm

. The dsb chamber has 150mm water flowing over the sand. It enters over a weir with 50mm deflector to try get flow only at top. Exits over glass weir at end.

Pics hopefully show this

I added "new" RO salt water to the sump and started circulating in this tank only not connected yet to ori

ginal sump. I am now thinking of doing a complete water change in this sump and th

en connect to original sump and hence the DT. Comments please b4 I go ahead

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Sep 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

I would be very carefull with a siphon feeding the new sump, as they can an will fail at some point and youll be left with a burnt out pump in ur return, rather drill and connect the sumps.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can siphon feed the two sumps. And make it failsafe.

Use 50mm PVC, two sections just taller than the sump height plus 2 short sections. An elbow, T-piece, female end cap and old style powerhead that got a venturi inlet. Cut the bottom ends both at a 45degree elbow. So that the downpipes can stand without blocking themselves. Connect elbow and then the T piece sideways. On the top end of T piece, cap off with female end cap. Bubbles will collect inside that highest point. Install pipes so that highest point is at the lower sump side. Drill 6mm hole into female end cap. And use 6mm flexible airline and connect that to the powerhead. Use the powerhead as a circulation under any other chamber to help blow detritus out. Do not put the powerhead in the display.

How it works. Bubbles will collect in the highest point. Will be sucked out by the venturi from the powerhead. Power goes out. And everything should stay in place if there is no airleaks.

5. dickw

dickw Thread Starter

Thanks for the valuable info and DIY soln. Will try and set up.

Unfortunately cannot get original sump out without major breaking down of frame etc to get out for drilling unless ideas on how to do insitu

I have also left return to DT running from the "old sump" and the DSB sump return feeds into this sump and connected through a level switch to cut out if level falls too low.

For now though any comment on timing to introduce this into DT circulation as its still cycling at this stage.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2013
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you need move the return pump to the end of the DSB section. With the Siphon pipe handling the flow. It can handle a lot more than you think.

Balancing pumps is a sure method to flood something along the way. ATU switches then also move with return pump to the very last chamber

7. pkc

pkc

Make your self a filter sock or two to use to clean the water before the dsb.
    Also make a floor of egg crate and mesh with a gap from 30 to 50 millimetres under it to support the media.
    This way it will work far better and attract very little hydrogen sulphide producing obligate anaerobes or abundant annoying sulphate reducing microbes.'
    A clean dsb,smart move!
    A dirty dsb, by, by simplistic reefing!

8. dickw

dickw Thread Starter

Hi all
    Thanks for advice and I will try implement all recommendations.

I have just taken the new sump off circulating within itself. The return pump from this sump is feeding back into the inflow of the "old" for now. This means the original return pump is still functioning returning water to the DT. This means the pumps don't need balancing but allows me to quickly revert if an unforeseen prob develops. Of course this means temporarily there is a portion of water flowing past the skimmer in original sump multiple times. All seems well. flows look excellent and syphon operating better than expected. Have done a power fail test and system recovers well with no flooding. Going away for weekend but come Monday plan to repipe as suggested by @RiaanP .

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can test that setup using 2 plastic tubes outside. see if it delivers the results you want. Can pump from one bucket to the other and let the siphon do the flow back.

Recent Posts