DSB Injection

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by DeanT, 12 Jun 2012.

1. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Hi All
    i have heard/ read , maybe i am wrong somehwere online , that you can inject stability into your DSB in order to speed up the bacteria growth and development inside the DSB.

i wanted to know if any one has done this and if it works.

i cannot run stability in my system , as i am running UV and ozone and they nullify each other, so i wanted to inject it , but only if it is beneficial

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

ive never heard of injecting a dsb like that but dont see any difficulty with it. I would however say that with a new system, or one that needs to be supplimented with a bacterial dosing requirement i personally would simply turn off Ozone and UV fora period (two weeks or so) so that the bacterial source can establish itself and then turn the ozone and UV back on. most benificial bacteria collonice on LR or in the substrate and are not free floating so Ozone and UV shouldnt affect it that much, but if the Ozone is running while you dose most bacteria are in the water collum and thus are killed by Ozone and UV.

4. Express Reef

Express Reef

Its just so that the bacteria stays in the dsb and not in the water column...

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

whats your reasoning?
    bacteria grow everywhere, even on your hand if you left it in there long enough

what are you trying to achieve by seeding the dsb? nitrifying bacteria or denitrifying bacteria?

6. Wes

Wes

or both ;)

7. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

i stand to be corrected , and this is the reason for the post , the reasoning for this was to establish the anaerobic bacteria in the DSB , obviously stability has a range of bacteria , and therefore the aerobic bacteria would die off , living the anaerobic bacteria

i am worried to turn off my ozone and UV , as last time , before the breakout of WS in my tank , i was running stability and then introduced ozone when WS developed

8. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi @DeanT, ive done it before.
    I believe that is works very well to start up a DSB, but i wouldnt do it in a mature DSB as that would decrease disturb the amount of anaerobic bacteria (there is oxygen in stability too).

If by any chance you did disturb your DSB & you need to restart it, then it would also work really well.
    @dallasg, im pretty sure dean wants to add bacteria that is anaerobic since that is the purpose of a DSB (creating a denitrifying area.)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

@Visser
    that was my intention , as my system is still "young" so i wanted to "help" it along as much as i can.
    how did you structure the dosing of it , and over what period

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. dallasg

you cant do both, both are very different, one needs an environment rich in O2 and one void of it

nitrifying bacteria are already present, denitrifying can take several weeks to months in a DSB as they need the anaerobic areas

adding this doesnt help as to get to the areas there is oxygen, they must be "grown" in the areas, so as long as there is low flow and the dsb is deep enough it will happen without anything being added

11. dallasg

patience with a DSB is needed
    add macro algae to start

Recent Posts