DSB info link and lighting

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by neo, 11 Feb 2010.

1. neo

neo

I was searching the net for DSB info and found this
    Deep Sand Beds
    Now my question from above site.
    They say most of the activity happens in the dark, but we light-up our DSB's in reverse cycle to get the cheato growing and for more stable Ph, in my instance I have an open stand so my DSB receives normal light during day and room light untill 23:00 and then the DSB light kicks in untill 6:00 next morning so not much darkness going.
    Is this to much light and will it scare off the 'gĂ´ggas'.
    The mentioned site have a suggestion of splitting the DSB having the cheato and light in one part and keeping the other park dark, what's your take on this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My goggas runs around with the lights on. I doubt if those copepods care.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Or to run a DSB. But some things stays valid, no matter how you want to do it. Like you must have a cat or the DSB footprint must be as big as possible.

Cheato or scrubber needs lights, If it was not for them, the sump could mostly be dark. A Cryptic zone is an area with no lights at all, and slow flow. And some people like a cryptic zone, most of us do not have space for it. So it does come down to the space you got. That is why we have those lights over our DSB's

4. PeterL

PeterL

All the information I have been given for some time now with the DSB lighting has suggested using a regular fitting with one of those energy saver jobs, I like the white light but that is just preference.

Is there any reason why I couldn't use one of those small balasts you get on little 1ft tanks? Why I ask is that I have one of those and it just looks so much better than a tacky light fitting floting out in the middle of no where. Surely light is light and that is the end goal one is after in the DSB - not so much the type of light used, but just to have the "night light"???

I need clarity here before I actually do it.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Actually, the DSB do not need any light. The copepods like to breed in the dark...:)

But the Cheato or whatever macro algae you got, they need light. And the Cheato is also a good place for the pods to live in.

So any light, with colour spectrum 4000 to 6500k will work. And the CFL 35 to 45W is the most light in that range. Warm white or Cool white. I prefer cool white. Cheapest option

Or downlighters globes, either with transformer 12V 50W or direct 240V 50W. Take less space. (240V option cheaper - not so safe)

Or even T8 2 foot plant grow florescence tubes as used by Freshwater planted tanks. They are optimized for plant growth.

6. PeterL

PeterL

That then confuses me, why then put a light on for it at night? Well, that is the idea I have is that you put the light on the DSB at night. As mentioned above, the theory is that they would never end up in the dark as needed for the copepods...hmmm...something isn't adding up here.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Have the lights in sump in reverse cycle to the Display tank.

Reason is to do with photosynthesis and PH swings because of that. O2 and CO2 uptake and release. And normally the sump is in a cabinet, that will make it dark in there during the day. OK not mine...

8. PeterL

PeterL

SAme here, I am out in the open and to top it off my tank stands in front of a big sliding door so it gets massive light. Not to mention the reflection off the tiles from the patio just outside...so basically no dark areas for me right away. I will however maintain the reverse to the main tank lighting (Tank on - DSB off & visa versa) as decribed to be good practice for a DSB by most people, it just seems randon to never alow it to be in darkness when darkness is an integral part of what one it trying o achive in a DSB if you want it to be completely functional.

What "critters" would one load into the DSB commonly, I just got my DSB running and is going to settle down in the next while but in the interim, surely I can look for a nearby source for the required "critters"?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You just need a cup of sand from a fellow reefer or 2.

Check who is in Boksburg.

Recent Posts