DSB Flow

Reaction score
I have started my new tank and have had change things around quite a bit.

I need to know, what kind of flow is recommended into/over the DSB.

I have quite a stronger flow than before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it needs to be strong enough that cyno doesn't start growing but not so strong as to wash the sand and all life form away, you might have to play around with settings. IMO

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr even if you have much higher flow its dispersed over a very wide area, anything that does not continuously disturb the sandbed, bit not to fast to give the DSB contact time with the water

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Warr - I think that the suggested "going rate" is +-2500 to +-4000 litres per hour. This should roughly translate to +-3 to 4 times your tank volume per hour.

The idea of the sump is that it CLEANS your tank - filters it.... So - too quick, and the filtration system cannot clean the water.... TOO slow, then not enough tank water is replaced per hour to have it cleaned by your filtration system....

I also believe that the skimmer's pump should not be much smaller than the sump flow-through rate.... as well as the water flow rate over your in-sump DSB.....

Puppy

Lives for SPS
Reaction score
I like to have a slow waterflow over my sandbed so that the DSB has contact time with the water.

Puppy

Lives for SPS
Reaction score
mmm i aint sure never worked it out but i would say between 2000 -3000L an hour.

Reaction score
Warr even if you have much higher flow its dispersed over a very wide area, anything that does not continuously disturb the sandbed, bit not to fast to give the DSB contact time with the water
I have 5000L per hour. The inlet is direct onto a flat piece of liverock above the DSB.

It is not disturbing the sandbed, I was worried about O2 being forced into the DSB

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Warr - 5000 litre is a little bit high - BUT, I am quite sure that it won't force enough O2 into the sand-bed to cause problems....
Do you have a valve on the outlet from the overflow? Or not?

Reaction score
Hi Warr - 5000 litre is a little bit high - BUT, I am quite sure that it won't force enough O2 into the sand-bed to cause problems....
Do you have a valve on the outlet from the overflow? Or not?
The flow is determined by my external skimmer. And I like to skim really hard ;), while the tank is new, to try eliminate any mini-cycles.

Will calm done the skimmer in the next couple of weeks

Awvince

Here fishie fishie
Reaction score
The flow is determined by my external skimmer. And I like to skim really hard ;), while the tank is new, to try eliminate any mini-cycles.

Will calm done the skimmer in the next couple of weeks
Uhmmm, I could be wrong but the slower the water flows through your skimmer the better, more contact time. As I said i could be wrong.