DSB disturbed

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by danimal, 23 Jan 2010.

1. danimal

danimal

Hey guys

Some of you followed my thread on my tank which was about to burst a few weeks ago; I had a temporary tank setup while I waited for my new build. Tonigh I am doing the cross over, and I discovered that the substrate (CaribSea Aragonite) from my old tank (which was stored in a bucket in the sump in the interim) had become a DSB of sorts and when I started scooping it out I noticed a sulphuric smell. Question is now what to do with this sand - the smell is not pungent but definitely noticeable. If I put it in my new system will it be dodgy? (for lack of a suitable scientific term ;) ) I'm worried that if I leave it out for now it will dry and there will be a die-off of the bacteria within the sand anyway.

I could always buy a new bag tomorrow, but that's R500 I'm not that keen to spend right now...

Any help is much appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

DSB being is disturbed in your case wont be too much of a drama as it is in a bucket and the gases wont be absorbed by the water going back to the main tank - so go outside and disturb it as much as you want - let as much of the pong out and then put the sump sand together - should be ok - lets hear what the other's say

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

i would clean it properly if using it for the dt, the aerobic bacteria will die no matter what so give it a thorough clean in salt water and get rid of any muck..

5. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

yeah, i will do that. going diving early bells anyway so will get some water when im done :thumbup:

6. Ralphie

Ralphie

Where are u gna hit a dive bud? Also goin for a early morning sesh and to get water for my 450l setup

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed - rinse it very well with sea water (until it's clean, and the rinse water remains clear). Keep in mind, though, that you will temporarily lose a large portion of your biological filter, and you can expect an ammonia spike. Be prepared to do a few large partial water changes to counter this, reduce feeding for the next 2-3 weeks, and keep the pH on the low side (7.9 - 8.1) if possible (i.e. don't add any kalkwasser or buffer for the next few weeks).

Good luck with the change-over :)

Hennie

8. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

dived chains, off no. 1 reef, about 5ks out directly in front of the harbour. very cool dive! sun coral city! (well i assume they were sun corals, or something very similar, growing in all the shady spots. my id on corals isn't so hot). saw lots of rays as well.

didnt get a chance to get water as i was pushed for time, will go down to ushaka after work tonight and get some as im diving in the lagoon tonight as well. lucky me :)

Recent Posts