Dsb clean up crew

Reaction score
hey hey my dsb is now up and running for 4weeks now.
But there is alot of detritus on my dsb.
What do i need to get to keep the upper layer clean?
And my cheoto isn't growing( it's under 2 t8's pink and white)(my cheoto is on my dsb.)

Cheato not growing is a sign that you dont have nutrients to feed it or inadequate lighting.

You can gently siphon off the top of the DSB, Be carefull not to disturb anything deeper than a cm or so.

Get hermits as clean up crew, I use filter floss between my skimmer and dsb, thus having very little that gets through, after more than a year I have never had any clean up crew nor have I ever siphoned any detritus of.

but then you need to replace the filter klos every 3 days?
something else than hermits?

but then you need to replace the filter klos every 3 days?
something else than hermits?

yip thats what i do, bristtle stars mhhh

made this it contains filter floss

IMG_0024.jpg

there it is in action no dirty filter all the dirt gets taken by this little gadget can buy it in any pet store that is worth while
Image008.jpg

Good idea nakoma, only problem is that it's high maintenance, I don't like high maintenance equipment, I'm too lazy :p

i hear you only clean it once every second day actually is not to bad sometimes leave it 3 days but not more it has a thing inside that keeps the filter wool nice and even so it does not glog up filter flos is very thin in there so it flows nicly

hey viper i'm not at my tank now, i think 15cm.
Kanga what kind of bristle stars,small ones?

Pink and white light will do nothing for Chaeto I'm afraid. I have tried FW plants under 10,000K lights before and it died faster than Britney Spears' motherly instincts.

You would be better off finding some 6,500K energy savers or better yet, T5.

Pink and white light will do nothing for Chaeto I'm afraid. I have tried FW plants under 10,000K lights before and it died faster than Britney Spears' motherly instincts.

You would be better off finding some 6,500K energy savers or better yet, T5.

:lol::lol::lol:

dsb is 15cm deep ,tjek out my thread diy dsb all the specs is there, i don't know how to paste a link, sorry

o.k i got two ligth savers one is a cool white and the other one is a blue spirel one.
This is very sharp, will it let my cheoto grow?

Hi Lanzo - will still check out your DIY DSB sump..... Haven't yet...

BUT, regarding your lights - plants and their kin needs white-light, in the band 4000 - 8000K range.... The white will most likely work fine, BUT the blue is only ever used to bring colors out in corals and fish...... BUT not to make plants grow.... (unless the plants are red in color - I think that I read somewhere that red macro algae grows quite well in blue-light.... This would most likely be "deep water" macro-algae - where white light is extremely scarce, and blue-light abundant....

o.k so i can replace the blue bulp with 1 more white one.
Where can i find those small bristel stars?

Back
Top Bottom