DSB and sump problems

Reaction score
When reading the thread about DSB i posted that my skimmer pump was in my 3rd compartment and some of you guys reckoned that that is wrong and that it should be in the 1st compartment.
Now i have been trying to decided how to make this happen but i can't due to the fact that my 1st compartment is tiny.
I have tried with extra plambing which doesn't work. so what sould i do?
here is a pic of the sump. Ps can't find my camera to take an updated photo so i will use matthiws photo before we did the tank swop ( its the same thing)

85848b836a1d00af.jpg

I thought of putting all the pumps in the 2nd compartment and putting the DSB in the 3rd compatment with the return pump. is that a good plan or not. where sould i put my carbon, phosphate remover and other chemical stockings.

Can you turn your sump around, thereby making your 3rd your 1st?

Do you think it such a big issue? Only thing you can do is to change the baffles. But thats gonna be a mission.

i don't know the guys say the skimmer will skim all the good stuff from the DSB.
Changing the baffles is going to be a major mission and i am to dcared of doing some damage to the glass.

Reversing the sump wont work. Where will the return pump go?
What I would do is build a new and better design sump, then whip that one out and replace with the new one. Should do the change over in 20min. A new sump should only cost about R 200 or so at that small size.

Can you use remove baffle no1 using razor blade connected to thin pvc pipe. Then turn sump around.
Skimmer pump now in 1st compartment (old 3rd) & return pump in 3rd (old 1st)

As Mille said and what you know. Get a new sump, that skimmer has to be before the DSB

Mike - and others - you can turn the sump around - literally. Empty the sump, and take it out, then replace it with the bigger area on the left.
You will then have to remove one of the partitions where they are so small.. (remove one of the pieces of glass), that the return pump can fit in....

what is the best way to remove one of the glass panels. If i remove the one that is separating the 1st compartment my skimmer pump will fit in that compartment

Back
Top Bottom