DSB Advanced by Dr Ron Shimek

dallasg

Reaction score

dallasg

Reaction score
glad i found it on his site, even getting his book, so now i am going to add another 1sqm of dsb to my DT :)

dallasg

Reaction score

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that between a skimmer and a decent sized DSB and possibly algae scrubber - you have your total filtration sorted!

I have a 2 metre by 600mm by 15cm (mostly - some places the fish have "thinned it out" to about 8cm) DSB in my display tank, and a 800mm by 600mm by 18cm DSB in my tank's sump!

Reaction score
it show you that the natural way is always best, thanks for shearing Dallas
i think our estuaries is full of that mud his referring to ,places like kosi bay,and st Lucia it mite be Worth to collect some of that estuary mud to get tings started in your dsb.

dallasg

Reaction score
it show you that the natural way is always best, thanks for shearing Dallas
i think our estuaries is full of that mud his referring to ,places like kosi bay,and st Lucia it mite be Worth to collect some of that estuary mud to get tings started in your dsb.
i have researched this, all of our estuaries and mangrove are protected.
I am importing mangroves for my tank, about 75 which i will resell once matured and healthy, i then will also sell the MUD :)

the only draw back is that mangroves use up Mg, so will have to suppliment that, but i am looking for a natural solution.
watch my thread

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What about for using epsom salts to dose magnesium? Epsom salts is: magnesium sulphate...... the only possible issue would be an accummulation of sulphates over a period of time....

Reaction score
i was thinking of filling my DT and sump with it, but in the DT i can just make it about 100mm deep will it still work?. in the sump it's not a problem there it can bee 350mm deep.

dallasg

Reaction score
i am trying to see how one could dissolve it out, will see what i find

dallasg

Reaction score
ben, needs to be atleast 12-15cm deep

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
i have researched this, all of our estuaries and mangrove are protected.
I am importing mangroves for my tank, about 75 which i will resell once matured and healthy, i then will also sell the MUD :)

the only draw back is that mangroves use up Mg, so will have to suppliment that, but i am looking for a natural solution.
watch my thread
Although mangroves are a nice addition to a refugium they are very slow growers and not good enough for sufficient nutrient export. Chaeto or caulerpa is much better in that sence.

dallasg

Reaction score
Mangroves might be slow growers but they add nice bio-diversity and other benefits, I am writing an article on them and natural filtration which will be a MASA exclusive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaction score
not good enough for sufficient nutrient export. .
Unless you running baby mangroves, they will export nutrients, way better than macro algae, just due to their size. The most effective mangrove refuge are run outdoors to allow the tree to really grow.

Check out the one in the Calfo book, very cool.

dallasg

Reaction score
Yip :) I am getting baby ones, and a nice variety :)
Posted via Mobile Device