DSB Activation

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by RiaanP, 21 Nov 2008.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm starting a DSB. I use playsand that I washed and washed and washed. Get the point, they were really dirty.
    Anyway it is in another 60L small tank at the moment, with powerhead and some old liverock from my tank and sump. Plenty of Bristle worms and some Copepods.

Is there anybody In Centurion or Pretoria that can help me out with some sand that got other nice stuff it it. Especially the stuff that make a DSB works. I will replace the sand you take out. I will move the sand from the small tank to the sump DSB on Saturday.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Raven

Raven

You will only need a cup of sand from someone else tank.
    But you will also see that alot of live from your LR will move to the sand...
    If you're willing to come and collect in vereeniging you're more than welcome to come and get some sand...(only about an hour and 20 min drive:whistling: - one way).

4. Andreas

Andreas

A small amount from different reefers will increase the diversity:)

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Please Pretoria and Centurion, help
    Small amonts, like a .5 kg tub of butter.

Else my wife will really know I lost it, driving to Vereeniging for a cup of sand. :)

6. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

riaan just leave your L/R on the sand for 1 week that should get it started

7. RiaanP

Yes Ben,
    That is what I did.
    I added the rocks last Saturday.
    Also I siphons the DP, the sand quite deep, and I used that "dirty" water to fill the 60L tank. So it was all detritus and whatever else I sucked out the DP. It covered the sand and rock with a layer of sediment. Interesting part is this layer is being cleaned / removed by whatever is in there. I also feed the worms extra food, as I do not know how much of the detritus they eat.

But for more variety I would like to add some cups from fellow reefers

8. Raven

Raven

Nothing wrong with doing that.....I mean - it is for the good of the tank...;)
    Just tell her it could have being worse - I could have stayed 300km from you...:lol:

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If you can get from someone close by, go for it. Otherwise be patient, a DSB takes a long time to mature and for the bacteria to start converting the nitrates. The advantage of speeding up by doing what you're doing is you'll have a nice refugium with loads of pods having a party and breeding like there's no 2morrow :p

10. RiaanP

Nobody close by?
    No Reefers in Centurion or Pretoria.

How do the LFS survive, only on me? no wonder they overcharge me.

11. RiaanP

o well, seems that I have to go to Vereeniging. Now to tell the wife we are taking a Sunday drive to get a tub of sand....

Seriously, is there nobody in Pretoria / Centurion with a DSB than can help me out?

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Be patient bud, it's weekend - people are planning stuff, running around, drinking, most was at work, etc. Someone will answer, just hang in there ;)
    To drive to Vereeniging for a cup of sand is not worth the petrol. Then you can rather wait a bit longer for your DSB to mature by itself.

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Riaan - contact Lanzo, or Ferdie. They are in Rooihuiskraal. I am more than 100% sure that they will help you out. Otherwise, if you want to take a drive, next time you go to the Montana flea market - make a turn at Moolis - he is JUST off Stormvoel drive.... Both of them can assist you....
    Tell them - JACQUES SAID SO ;) LOL!

14. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

I have a DSB that have been running 2 years:slayer: - you could get a culture out of that:biggrin:

15. RiaanP

Thank you Moolis.

Is it at your shop, or at home. I got a meeting tomorrow close by to you. Was planning to came around after the meeting.

Recent Posts