Dry Food Replacement

RiaanP

Reaction score
I've been using Ocean Nutrition for years. I buy the big tubs, all 5 in the range. Throw them all out in a box, mix them up, and then put it mixed up back in the tubs. That way I got a nice mixed selection I just need to feed them.

I always bought the big tubs. 154g tubs.

But it seems that this is now run out, not that easily available anymore. Until whenever the supplier get in new stock early in the second quarter of the year. I bought all the last ones that was as Pet Stop SA.

Plus with the price nowadays of about R500 a tub, Pet Stop was cheaper, another shop selling over R500.
A round of buying food cost me R2500 a shot. Luckily that 5 tubs last 2 months.

What other brand is the same, equivalent, and most not too expensive.

Reaction score
Hikari also has a nice range. I do the same as you with the hikari. throw everything together and mix. But i find the small pellets are a bit to small and i dont really know if my fish chows it but i feed it in any case.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Pellets I use autofeeders. And yes they do float and end up in the overflow. Made rings to keep them under the autofeeder until they eventually sinks.

Does Hikari have flakes?

RiaanP

Reaction score
A LOT...

One 154g tub goes about 10-12 days. 5 tubs last just about 2 months. The downside of having big hungry fish.

If there was bigger tubs on the market, I would even go for that.

trad

Fish, thats the word!
Reaction score
Shew, that does sound like a lot of food! I'd be happy if I could just round off and use one frozen cube and mysis at a time.... instead of having to chop it up!

I use an auto feeder with a ring for pellets, stops them going in the overflow.

I like the Seachem dried food range, seems like good quality.

459b

Reaction score
Why not switch to making your own food? Theres a recipe somewhere here on mixing mussels/fish/calamari/etc

RiaanP

Reaction score
If I do give frozen food, I will do about 8 to 10 blocks of Ocean Nutrition frozen food in one go. Also different types, 2-3 blocks per type. And on the price of frozen foods, eish, that get expansive rather quickly.

Flakes is soo much easier, especially in the mornings. I leave house about 20 minutes after light starts to come on. No time for frozens.