droped my sg to fast

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by roderigo, 31 Oct 2011.

1. roderigo

roderigo

hay guys i drooped my satiety from 1.030 to 1.024 in less than 48 hrs and when i was done i remembered that i was to do it slower and due to my error in judgment i almost lost my big Mexican turbo snail but he pulled though all the rest of the snails are fine but my xsaina is not pulsing as much as it use to how long will it take to get back to normal
    i know bad move on my part :whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

all tank mates seamed happy at the high sg of 1.030 ? or could i be wrong

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

It's my understanding that you can bring the Salinity down "fast", but you can't raise the Salinity at a "fast" pace..not quite sure if the Mexican Turbo and Xenia were affected by this as I don't have either in my Tank...I'm sure one of the other Reefers will be able to assist you in regards to that...

5. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

You can drop sg quite fast but you have to raise it slowly... All inhabitants will be fine... ;) And yes, they could have been happy at 1.030 if they reached it slowly... They would have acclimatized... :)

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I just found this on the Internet...

issue . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . suggested points to investigate:

never pulses ----------------------->species, light intensity, water clarity, low alkalinity
    pulses periodically ---------------->unstable water chemistry. activated carbon. additives.
    stopped pulsing-------------------->temperature too high/low. low ORP. aggression.
    detached from base--------------->algae overgrowth. physical damage or aggression. infection.
    loss of polyps----------------------->parasitic macro-organism. fish population. aggression.
    colony loss/melted----------------->coral mix / allelopathy. disease. stress from shipping.

pulsating xenia not pulsating - Saltwater Aquariums - Reef Tanks Online Discussion

I read that they don't like rapid changes to PH..still looking for how they react to high Salinity...

7. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Xenia is not opening fully but pulsing is at about 40 present i don't understand this my other snails were all fine 4x super tonger Nasser snails and my one damsel fish were all showing no signs of the Chang only Xenia and and the one turbo

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

What did you use to measure the salinity, how did you come to the conclusion that you were out?

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Another point to note about Xenia .... If this makes sense .... the poorer the water quality the more they pulse due to them wanting to ëxtract whatever they can from the water column ... The better the water quality the less they pulse due to them being more at ease with their surrounding water so no need to pulse so vigorously to get their "high"from the water ...

10. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

i used my milwaukee refractometer and i checked it with Ro before i teated

11. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

the sourer of the high Sg in my tank is from the NSW i collected

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

The one thing i have found is that different refractometers give different readings and that does worry me. just give the livestock time to adjust to the new parameters and then keep them as consistant as possible, consistancy is what keeps the livestock happy.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  13. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

ok Alan will do

14. Sammy

Sammy

It seems we don't really understand these creatures, mine pulses through any conditions and in different tanks.

What I do know, is they don't like high temps, my xenia looked very unhappy in temps of 29 Deg and above.

Just my 2c

15. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

i think they just need some time they are pulsing still just not as much

Recent Posts