Driving from CPT to DBN

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by NADEEM, 23 Apr 2013.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hello masa people, my wife and i are wanting to take a drive to durban in July or August. i am a durbanite, all my family are in durban.

I know petrol price is crazy, but we always fly to durban and my wife has never driven til there. i have, a number of times , but as a passanger when i was a kid.

Have any of you guys driven between dbn-cpt recently? i want to know what the best route to take, and also any ideas what total petrol costs would be like? and toll fees, is it a lot? car is a 325i bmw.

Shot guys:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mohummud

Mohummud

I drive 3 times a year from Durban to Port Elizabeth and venture on to Cape Town occasionally. Ive always used the N2. IME, the road between PE and CT is quite good, using the N2.

Still using the N2, the route between East London and Kokstad is very 'interesting' - plenty of animals \ livestock on the route, and there is always roadworks occurring - which means no \ few overtaking opportunities (as most of that route +- 350km is single lane), and plenty 20+ min stop \ go areas.
    This section can be quite exhausting.

As for toll fees, if im not mistaken there are only 2 (Port Shepstone and Tsitsikamma) which totals under R 100. Its almost 2000 km one way, so working out an average of 10 l / 100km and depending on the petrol price (about R12), should cost you in the region of R 2400 for petrol alone (one way)

4. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

wow shukran for the advice Mohummud, so if i spend almost 5grand to drive there, can i at least come see your tank?lol.

2000km you say, guy here at work says its under 1700km, something like 1640km, which is the shortest route?
    i dont mind spending a bit more to go with the car, flying is boring.

5. Mohummud

Mohummud

Sorry, you are right, it is more like 1700 km using direct calculation on the N2.
    I broke my trip up to stay a night in PE (off the N2), and then another night in George (which accounts for a few extra kms)

Driving so far, means that you need to take in the extra scenery, stop off at a couple places, do some sight seeing and then continue driving... Ive got 3 kids, so I have to stop and let them run around a bit and visit a few of the local attractions

Last edited: 23 Apr 2013
  6. shan

shan

I have done this drive a few times. The best and quickest route is the N1 from CT to Bloem, then just after Bloem, you take the road to Bethleham to Harrismith and then down to Durban (N3). Under 1800km. You want to leave at night so you are in the desert at night and reach bloem just as the sun is rising. This way, you will not meet any cops on that lovely straight road. Bethleham to Harrismith is best done with some sunlight and those bends on a 325 will be extremely enjoyable.

I do not like the N2 because of the bad roads and the extremely unsafe roads. The cows and horses is missed on that road almost killed me a few times. And then with the traffic with those one lane roads, you will end up killing your wife ;). The N2 is a beautiful drive but you have to stop at least once or twice and spend the night over at some place or the other.

7. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

nice, shot for the advice gents, this N1 drive sounds cool. i want to only stop for petrol and make it to Durban in 11 to 12 hours MAX. :tt2: hahaha just kidding.

8. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

@shan , are there many tolls on this N1 Route? does it amount to lots of money for the trip?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. shan

shan

@NADEEM, i have no idea the cost - i do not pay attention just give them the card. For me because it is faster and safer route, and cheaper on fuel, i rather use the N1

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts