Drilling LR

Mekaeel

Reaction score
hello Crew.
im deciding to drill my LR 20mm holes to form 3 pyramids in my tank.whats the best bit to use?and do you set the drill to hammer or normal?any other tips are welcome
thank you

I would use masonry bits but not the hammer action as this would tend to shatter/fragment the LR. Use a drill press if you can as this will allow you to hold teh LR without worrying about it spinning off against a wall......

Mekaeel why not use 15mm pipe instead as the hole will be smaller and you could then work with smaller pieces.

I used a basic cordless drill with masonary bit (not using hammer) and it was very easy. don't give too much pressure as the rock could split.
good luck

hello Crew.
im deciding to drill my LR 20mm holes to form 3 pyramids in my tank.whats the best bit to use?and do you set the drill to hammer or normal?any other tips are welcome
thank you

Currently doing the same to mine, but using 2mm masonry drill bit, and then inserting 2mm fiberglass rods. The nice thing with the fiberglass is you can drill a series of holes on each rock, and not have to worry to much about correct alignment with opposing rock, as the fiberglass is incredibly flexible. A drop of superglue in each hole, and the bond is immediate.

Instead of three solid structure's i am going to try and make layers, That can be later moved without to much sweat.

Most rocks can be drilled without the hammer function, but you do get to some points, where the drill just stops. Then you have no choice. Some frag plugs on the other hand seem to be of a plastic and cement consisteny. Or fibre cement. All plugs i have used the hammer function. Corals are unaffected.

Look forward to seeing how yours works;)

Interesting thread here, What type of LR are you drilling ?

The infamous 'worm rock' I think would just break apart but the Fiji/kenyan would drill quite well I think.

You know the drill here, (damn a pun without even thinking) pics dude !

Cool. Hmm could be a way of getting some height. Stupid question because i know the stuff is used for lighting....but do you get black eggcrate

i wonder if theres any reef safe black paint that could be used

Duram make a product called pond paint that you can use. Cerven did it with his tank and it worked well. Only problem with it is that it doesn't stick to silicone to it peeled off on the edges.

Back
Top Bottom