Drilling into the stand with full Tank

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by PeterL, 29 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have no idea if this is possible, can one drill into the metal stand with the full tank above? I want to mount some wood to hang the sump light and so on but I have no idea how it will or won't affect teh tank if I was to drill the frame in place otherwise make another plan???

Suggestions or thoughts on this please...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

I think a better idea is to get those magnetic contacts used for cupboard doors then just attach it to the and ....... bob's your uncle ... and much safer too....

4. FransSny

FransSny

One word..VELCRO, yo uget it as a "double sided tape" one side Velcro, other side sticky tape

5. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

hehehe, I gave that one thought Chika, the light I am going to be using which is going to be part of the ATS setup weighs nearly 5kg - it is going to be some serious magnets. Considering the weight of the light, that is why I wanted to screw the board to the tank frame...

I don't trust the idea right at face value of drilling the frame with the tank above my head so I will give a little more thought to the whole setup.

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Have a look at my photos - there are pics of the light I plan to use...it is a 45W energy saver floodlight

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ask here on the forum for someone with totally broken pumps with magnet mounts ..... you can buy the mags from them maybe cheap cheap ... you will need a van with a high powered winch to pry the light fittings out then with those magnets:lol:

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Cool, I will just make sure to keep my fingers clear when mounting them in that case - otherwise I may become a permenatnt fixture of my tank and it could detract from it's beauty with having a skeleton in front of it;)

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

No jokes about that bud ... I've heard of chaps of breaking bones with this and tank glass .... You must watchout seriously .... I've got a few and they pack a punch

10. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Dont make this small mod into something big, the holes to hang that 5kg weight on can not affect your stand stability if you have a average stand. I would rather worry about the corrosion where the galvanizing gets damaged by the drilling.

11. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

The frame is not galvanised, it is painted with QD.
    I am not worried so much about the structural intergrety of the stand as much as I am worried about the vibrations caused during drilling, I fear it may cause catastrophic results within the tank - that is my unknown factor.

12. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Then you must wait for age and patience maybe?;)

13. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

by that, you mean what?

14. paul bloem

paul bloem

I drilled mine with a 4 mm drill bit, I just dit is slowly and my fish looked fine. (12 holes)

15. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Thanks, the plan is to drill a few horizontal holes and slot the wood directly under the tank, sort of like making a shelf only to use the underside - if that makes sense.

HAHAHA, just realised a problem, I cant drill on the side where my tank is next to the wall so the whole theory just shot out the window and I have to come up with another plan to mount the light...hmmm...I feel my brain buzzing with crazy ideas already...;)

16. paul bloem

paul bloem

If you take an piece of angle iron and drill the holes on the side and attach the lights and the drill the bottom of the stand, then attach the angle iron. Will that not work, if you understand?

17. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Now that is why two minds are better than one :thumbup:, now to get my hands on that piece of angle iron ;)

Nice idea there bud!!

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and before you attached anything, after you drilled the holes. Touch up your paintwork.

and do not get metal fillings into your sump. Put glad wrap over it before you start.

19. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I got dumb luck, the metal filings will come off the drill bit too hot and burn right through the glad wrap - what can go wrong, will with me at the hands of power tools - I will go with something substantially thicker to ensure nothing gets into the sump ;)

Nah, I am actually OK with DIY stuff, just always go one step further than the average joe with precaution - check 50 times then cut, and still make a mistake by cutting too short and having to redo - lol

20. robertkukla

robertkukla

Zombie use sika flex it holds a bus together i might know where to get

21. neo

neo

the places that do windscreens use sika flex, check with your nearest PGAutoglass or something similar.

can't you build legs for the light unit from aluminium square tubing with the legs standing on the ground or shelf that your sump is on ?

Recent Posts