Drilling and overflow HELP

Jscholtz014

210 LITRE AQUARIUM
Reaction score
Hi all i would like to do a beananimal overflow. And have already drilled 5×25mm holes in my tank. I would like to know how thick the glass must be for overflow. How deep it must be. And how big the 3 holes must be for the bean animal...
(It is 500L)

Regards... josh

Go for 50mm plumbing. Get the tank connectors BEFORE doing the drilling in the box.

Glass thickness can be 8mm, is it is a small box with not a lot of water. 6mm can also work. I would go for at least 8mm as you do work on the box. The inside thin overflow can also be 8mm. But make the overflow inside at least 20mm wide instead of 10mm.

Hi.. thanks @RiaanP .
What do you mean by the tank connecters?
And are you saying that the holes for the overflow box must be 50mm.... thanks for your help so far..

I would say for 500l glass should be around the 12mm mark. I went with 40mm piping, but 50mm is standard pool size which seems to be the only easy and convenient method in SA.

Overflow is normally around 5cm less deep than your tanks depth, but all depends where you want the water line in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi... thanks.. and what size do you reckon the return pump should be.... just while we on this topic

Depends how high your tank return is, whether you use hard pvc or soft tubing, what you want your turnover rate to be and how many 90 degree elbows you have

I would say for 500l glass should be around the 12mm mark.
Bean Animal overflow box is a small add on box to the outside of the tank. Tank got a couple of big holes and on the inside of tank is a "normal" skinny overflow. There is no tank connectors or bulkheads in use between tank and overflow box.

The bottom of the overflow box got 3 holes drilled into it. Normally 50mm, but that depends on the type of fittings used. This box do not hold more than 20L water ever. Depending on design. No need to be 12mm. Can even be 6mm. But for piece of mind I would go with 8 or 10mm.

This should give you an idea. I used 8mm and the tank is 10mm

OverflowDone_zps6fce1162.jpg

another pic, showing the 2 big 50mm holes between tank and outside box

OverflowInstall_zps184f190f.jpg

Bean Animal overflow box is a small add on box to the outside of the tank. Tank got a couple of big holes and on the inside of tank is a "normal" skinny overflow. There is no tank connectors or bulkheads in use between tank and overflow box.

The bottom of the overflow box got 3 holes drilled into it. Normally 50mm, but that depends on the type of fittings used. This box do not hold more than 20L water ever. Depending on design. No need to be 12mm. Can even be 6mm. But for piece of mind I would go with 8 or 10mm.

This should give you an idea. I used 8mm and the tank is 10mm

OverflowDone_zps6fce1162.jpg

Ah yes of course, I forgot it is often placed outside! That definitely works.

They are 25mm.. its an external overflow.

And is 12cm deep enough for external overflow, ?

will you still have a slimline box on the inside of the tank?

You need it to ensure surface skimming, that the gunk that collect on to top of the surface goes down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom