Drilling acrylic tank.. help?

Reaction score
hi guys, i'm drilling my acrylic tank to create an overflow,
just wandering what the best way is to attach the pvc piping to the tank after drilling?
i know acrylic is a type of plastic, so could i PVC weld it to the tank or should i just use the normal marine silicon?
superglue??

any other ideas are welcome!!
thanx!

Reaction score
I will see what we used at work or try to get hold of the manufaturer of our acrylic tanks and ask him, acrylic can react badly to chemicals if they are not supposed to be used with it.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I think there is a special type of glue you need to use, it might be called Acetone or something, I can't remember.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Don't laugh, lol, it's got something to do with melting the acrylic :2confused:

Reaction score
Little bit off topic - but is there a place in SA where I can order acrylic?

459b

Reaction score
instead of gluing the pvc pipe, you can buy attachmants that you screw on, sort of like a nut and bolt type of thing. They designed for use in water tanks and come in any size you want. Then you can glue your pvc pipe to this.

Reaction score
had a look at the tank today, looks like the back panel is glass.
LFS is going to drill a hole tomorrow.( R200 for a whole, what a rip off)

459b

Reaction score
LFS is going to drill a hole tomorrow.( R200 for a whole, what a rip off)
you should ask a glass shop to do it. I get all my glass from a comapny that specializes in making aluminium windows. They really helpful and dont mind helping out, and they dirt cheap.

Reaction score
instead of gluing the pvc pipe, you can buy attachmants that you screw on, sort of like a nut and bolt type of thing. They designed for use in water tanks and come in any size you want. Then you can glue your pvc pipe to this.
Sorry to take so long to get back, basically 459b has covered the fitting side, when ours were installed and drilling was required it was done on a very slow speed with water used as a coolant.
That won't matter as you will be drilling glass.