Drewtons First Salty!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Drewton, 12 Jul 2011.

1. Drewton

Drewton

Hi Guys! Ok well been very keen on keeping a marine tank for a long time now, I've had numerous freshwater tanks over the years, and have kept a variety of freshwater fish. Recently a few close friends have begun keeping marines, and the tempation was finally too great!:) There were a few considerations, 1. convert my 350L Freshwater community tank (greater cost) and 2. get started with a nano in the meantime to get to grips with the hobby till I can afford to convert the 350L (end up with 2 projects to keep me occupied:thumbup:) Eventually the missus made up my mind for me after seeing the nano running in an LPS (and getting tired of my constant indecisiveness:whistling:) and said: "Just go get the damn thing now". So I did!:thumbup:

And so I purchased an Aquaria 35L nano, complete with skimmer, DSB refugium filter media t5 lighting and led moonlights... The setup is now up and running with the DSB filled with Coral sand, and 3kg of aragonite in the display area. Water is an RO/red sea salt mix with SG of 1.024. The skimmer took a bit of fiddling to get it to skim correctly, but is easily adjustable by the little sliding pump aperture and seems to work pretty well. There is no load in the tank yet so we will see in the coming days. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be getting some Live Rock this week, so I can get everything cycling...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. silverthorne

silverthorne

keep us posted :thumbup:

4. Junz

Junz

Nice dude and welcome

5. Annoying

Annoying

Hen and welcome to MASA!

Awesome little setup you got there:thumbup:

6. crispin

crispin

nice :) welcome to masa and the greatest hobby in the world. nanos can be finicky in the beginning and take some planning, but do yourself a favor and let it cycle long, dont rush into putting fish clean up crew or corals in. let it cycle a while longer than you think is needed, it will allow the tank time to stabalise better.

best of luck with the tank and i'm glad to see you can upload pics already, we will want to see lots

7. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

welcome man. Its a good lil setup those. Itll look good. Keep us posted

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined. If you keen on a bit more info on starting a marine tank, check out the link below :)

9. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Wow thanks guys for all the reply's! Really encouraging! @crispin: Thanks, it is very tempting to get started straight away, but having learnt from experience with my freshwater tanks, patience is definately a virtue!:whistling: Gonna let it run this week just with water and substrate in, and will add LR and Chaeto this weekend and do some scaping. WIll take some pics as soon as its done. then will probably just leave it alone (difficult, i love to fiddle) for a few weeks to cycle and just keep the salinity correct.

A quick question, is it necessary to run the skimmer now while there is no LR or bioload? And should I be keeping the lights off during this period? Thanks again guys!:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome to Masa bud.... Looks like you ready for an upgrade..... Cmon you know you want to..... Hehe. :lol:

11. maxisoft

maxisoft

Keeping your lights on during cycling depends on whether you like GHA or not...

When I started cycling, I liked to see the growth, etc and I got a huge amount of the green hairy stuff... Which took awhile to get rid of.... So you've been warned.... In a nano your size, I can almost guarantee you loads of Green hair algae......in a short time... :thumbup:

12. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Ha ha ha, thanks for the warning maxisoft! duly noted!:idea:

13. crispin

crispin

its best to run the skimmer now, it normally takes a while for a skimmer to run in, gets oils and substances off the reaction chamber and you'll have a chance to fiddle a little with it (seeing as you love to fiddle.....hands where we can see them please) and get it set up propperly.

once the LR is in the skimmer will start to pull some skimmate depending on the state of play with the LR you get. Probably not that much as you wont need that much lr in there to start, but worth having the skimmer going at that time.

Personally i like to run some lights during the cycle. fairly often one gets some desirable hitchikers (zoas or the like) or coraline algaes all of which need some light.

also if you have nutrient issues when you start up and have lights you will have algae. if you have nutrient issues and dont use lights you might not get that much algae, untill you switch the lights on.

i prefer to let the problem areas work themselves through so that I can see them and understand the extend of the problem so that I can take corrective measures.

so in short id leave the lights on for part of the day (4hours or so) while it cyles

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Excellent advise from @crispin.

35L tank, that is small. Promise you, guaranteed, you will get out of this tank within a year. Small tanks are a lot more difficult to maintain compared to 200 - 300L systems. Not saying it can not be done, just that water changes are a must, checking water parameters weekly is a must. Your learning curve is just fast tracked. I started on a 90L.

Another thing, keep a close eye on water evaporation. Adding 500ml RO water to 35L is 1.42% of total water volume. Any bigger top ups will play havoc with your salinity. So frequent daily top ups will be a lot better than once in a couple of days. Can make it part of your morning and late afternoon husbandry. Feed the fish, do the top up.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2011
  15. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome mate! :) ..

17. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan, great advice!:thumbup: I will definately do daily topups, might DIY an ATU system at some stage when I have the hang of things...

18. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Ok, so after a week of waiting for the weekend to come it finally arrived!!! Felt like a month! Popped into Eurospirit this morning and selected a few nice pieces of Live Rock from their curing tank. I tried not to get carried away and just got hold of about 4kg of various shapes and sizes. In hindsight I should have got at least another kg or so.

Shot home and got stuck in straight away, laid out the pieces to get some idea of how i could construct the scape. turned all the pumps etc off and drained about 50% of the water to make space for the volume of the LR. (and my hands:p)
    When I packed the LR i tried to make a lot of spaces for good water circulation, as well as lots of caves for fish to enjoy and feel safe. The following pics are the result!

Checking the rock for nasties...
    [​IMG]

Some nice pink corraline...
    [​IMG]

Nice and porous....
    [​IMG]

Side View...
    [​IMG]

Completed Scape 15min later!!!
    [​IMG]

Comments welcome guys!!

19. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

A month later...

Ok so here goes! There has been a lot happening lately in more ways than one, hence the long delay in posting the updates. Its been 4 weeks since my last post and the tank is coming along nicely. I have invested in a test kit or 2 to keep an eye on the parameters regularly, and I've been logging the results in an excel spreadsheet to keep track. Latest water parameters look good so far. And I did a 10% water change today. The tests were done before the water change.

Temp 25.5deg
    PH 8.4
    Alk 2.2
    Ammon 0.00
    Nitrite 0.00
    Nitrate 0.00
    Phosphate 0.1
    Calcium 440ppm
    Salinity 1.024 SG

I started dosing with Calcium about 2 weeks ago and an improvement in the pink coralline is noticeable now. It was starting to lose colour before, but has recovered nicely. I also started dosing with Stability, just to try and help out the cycle and make sure that there is enough bacteria present before i added any livestock. I was given some Zoas from a friend which i added at about week 3 along with 2 pieces of a soft pink coral (perhaps someone can identify it for me??) I also added some green star polyps.

This week i took the plunge and finally added a pair of ocellaris clowns and a cleaner shrimp all of which I slowly drip acclimated. They all seem fine so far, and i see the shrimp has shed his shell now (I assume this means he is growing??)

Here are some pics of the progress...

20. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Aquaria Nano pics...

Algae bloom 2 weeks into cycle...
    [​IMG]

Pink Coral Frag
    [​IMG]

Zoas...
    [​IMG]

Star Polyps...
    [​IMG]

And today with cleaner shrimp and friends!:thumbup:
    [​IMG]

21. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

I cant believe how big that tiny piece of coral has become!!! Star polyps are also starting to multiply now, however my zoas are not happy at all for some reason. Any ideas???

Recent Posts