Dream Tank !!

Reaction score
Hi all. Busy looking at the best size tank that I would like to make from scratch. So far looking at an 8ft(244cm) by 24"(61cm) by 24"(61cm). This will be set up as a room divider, visible from both front and rear. Glass thickness will be 9mm. Tank will be placed on a steel welded frame with full clading / cupboards built around and above. Any advice ?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
That size tank I would recommend 12mm glass and a 20mm double base (2 x 10mm). Sounds like a great project though :thumbup:

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
not going to get 9mm to my knowledge.. better to go 10mm as 8mm is an import and will be more expensive than 10mm and not as strong... try go wider.. this will make stacking rockery a bit easier as it will allow a better foundadtion to be established.. also just looks cool..;) welcome...

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Got the glass size from this site.

DIY Custom Aquarium Glass Thickness Calculator compiled by your About Guides to Saltwater Aquariums

Will deffinately use all the advice I can get !!
Yes but look at the safety factor at 9mm, it's only 1.95, whereas with 12mm glass you get a much higher safety factor of 3.46, don't take a chance, you might end up mopping floors at 2am after the tank has burst, deep_blu is then going to be deep_red with anger :lol:

Have a look at our calculators page, there is a glass thickness calculator there that was written by an engineer (Reef Maniac) Marine Aquariums of South Africa Calculators

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Uhmm not too much of a problem with the 10mm if braced properly, my current tank is 2.3x70x70 and has been running for about 3yrs no probs[touch wood] but have to agree the 12mm will give you a better safety factor.

Reaction score
Is 70cm depth not too high ?

Shot for the calculator.

Where is the best place to go for glass in Durban / Pinetown area ?

Reaction score
Any contact details for Costa Glass ??

Do they also drill holes etc or is it going to be easier to do it myself ?

Reaction score
Yes but look at the safety factor at 9mm, it's only 1.95, whereas with 12mm glass you get a much higher safety factor of 3.46, don't take a chance, you might end up mopping floors at 2am after the tank has burst, deep_blu is then going to be deep_red with anger :lol:

Have a look at our calculators page, there is a glass thickness calculator there that was written by an engineer (Reef Maniac) Marine Aquariums of South Africa Calculators
Mmmm..... :nono:

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yip 12mm, and with that watervolume you wont just be mopping you will be fetching furniture that washed down the road

:lol:

Reaction score
do i have a say in this fish tank?????? or maybe it'll be me going out for a :peroni: instead of spending "quality" time with u.