Dream Filtration System

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by manta, 3 Mar 2010.

1. manta

manta

I have the goverments permission to move tank filtration system to the garage. I have already started knocking a hole through the wall and need some input.

I have the following restrictions. The stand for filtration system can not be longer than 1.5m and wider than 400mm.

Spare glass I have can make a 930X400mm and 800X400mm without adding cost for glass.

I have included a drawing with DSB of 51*40cm which gives me a total footprint of 2040cm sq. Then a refugium of 500X400mm.

Will use a 25l tank for RO topup.

What else do I need to add?

DT size is 1200X450X500mm - Currently very lightly stocked and with about 10kg of biorock which is current in system to cure. Then also about 10kg of live rock.

Only 3 fish in system. (Hermit crab got hold of the one Damzel unfortunately - he was huge and has gone back to the Ocean)

My current DSB size is 400mmX350mm which is very small. I am thinking of keeping this underneath the tank and gravity feed to DSB in the garage. (Fortunately the garage is below the house)

Would welcome any comments and suggestion.

Attached Files:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How mush lower is the garage than the house. Floor to floor difference?

What height do you plan for the new DSB stand?

Also no need for the baffles. Well input side will depend on the distance water do fall between tank and sump. If over 1.5m I believe that baffle design will anyway not work. Bubbles will hit the sump bottom and enter the baffle. So why have it?

If Stand is 1.5 by .4 Why not have the DSB on a stand that is about .8 to 1m high, and 1.5m long. And put RO chamber under the sump. So your sump looks like a second display. As long as the sump water level is lower that the display in the house. Also if sump lifted, you need a less powerfull return pump.

Make first and last chambers just big enough for your skimmer and return pump. Keep in mind future skimmer upgrades if any. Leave max space for DSB

4. manta

manta Thread Starter

How mush lower is the garage than the house. Floor to floor difference?

Yes it is floor to floor difference. I have measured the height and it is a 4m difference. I was considering a intial receptical tank for water splashing. Ie gravity feed into receptical tank and then to dsb. Maybe even put skimmer in intial receptical.

What height do you plan for the new DSB stand?

Height will be about 800mm and I do plan for DSB to go on top of stand.

Also no need for the baffles. Well input side will depend on the distance water do fall between tank and sump. If over 1.5m I believe that baffle design will anyway not work. Bubbles will hit the sump bottom and enter the baffle. So why have it?

Good idea. This will abviously increase the size of the DSB by min 250mm

If Stand is 1.5 by .4 Why not have the DSB on a stand that is about .8 to 1m high, and 1.5m long. Agreed was also my thoughts And put RO chamber under the sump. So your sump looks like a second display. As long as the sump water level is lower that the display in the house. Also if sump lifted, you need a less powerfull return pump.

Make first and last chambers just big enough for your skimmer and return pump. Keep in mind future skimmer upgrades if any. Leave max space for DSB[/QUOTE]

What is your thoughts on DSB and refugium on one system. Secondly what lighting is required for refugium and what type of cycle?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

DSB and Refugium can be in one.

Depends on the water depth from the sand to water level. If more than 150mm, no problem using it as a refugium. If 200mm or more, even better. Also it adds a lot to your total tank volume.

Normal CFL bulbs will do. In reverse cycle to display tank, with max 60 minutes overlap.

Also you might be able to include a scrubber with all that height. Just work it out to be able to clean it and that it does not create splashes all over the garage.

Your return pump might be a problem.

While in the garage. Maybe work out your water changes, so that you can drain water and refill new SW in the garage instead of doing that in the house. Missus will like that idea.:thumbup:

6. manta

manta Thread Starter

Before anything else, thanks for your comments and suugestions.

Water changes is what promted all of this. Currently I have to carry my water in 25l containers up a set of stairs to the DT to do water changes. Not fun.

thanks again

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Never do this. Balancing pumps. Nope, will not work. Somewhere something will block one pump, resulting in the other outperforming it by even a small margin. Add some time, like an hour or two, and you will flood...:(

For a pump, look at some of the ReeFlo pumps. There are some with proper head.
    http://www.reeflopumps.com/

Some sponsors got them. Like Dorry and Idol

8. manta

manta Thread Starter

ok

9. manta

manta Thread Starter

Well here is an update on my filtration system. I have built the stand out of 19X38mm tubing and three coats of hammerite later this is what she looks like now.

[​IMG]

Then of course it was time for the shelves and doors. Have to put on doors as the wives' car just fits into this section and she can rather knock the doors than glass. Used 20mm plain pine shelving. Primer and it is now waiting for final coat

[​IMG][​IMG]

Another couple od questions I have is.

When the filtration system is up and going can I cycle the filtration system on its own without connecting it to the display tank?

I alos want to include a ATS. Where should this go. Before DSB or in between DSB and refugium?

cheers.

10. Boegie

Boegie

Nice thread, will follow.

11. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Me too gonna follow ur thread closely. Going to star my stand Dis Friday..Keep it up man:thumbup:

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

In my opinion adding the extra sump will not cause an extra cycle, if possible i would link up the current filtration to the new filtration, and run it in parallel for ideally 2 months or so, then remove the original sump from the system.

you should only go through a cycle in a mature tank if you

a disturb the filtration
    b add a large amount of livestock
    c add significant uncured live rock

all you are doing is adding volume to your existing system which in time will colonize with bacteria BUT when you want to take your original sump offline you need to make sure that the new sump is working appropriately

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm currently running my old DSB connected to my new DSB. Both together and in week 5.

As Neil said, nothing wrong with that.

the scrubber or ATS, should be after your skimmer. Or better, you already have gravity on your side. Split the flow before skimmer and contol it with a ballvalve, halve to skimmer and other to scrubber. Both end up on the DSB.

14. manta

manta Thread Starter

Neil H and Riaan P.

Thanks for the info. Will try to incorporate current DSB into new filtration. This will mean that I need to have a another hole drilled into existing sump. (can always plug again as I am going to use it as quarantine tank). Oh darn more plumbing to do.

Riaan P

Good Idea to split. Will definitely incorporate this into my plans.

Now if I can only get done with these extra mural meetings so I can do more work on my sump during the week at night. Need to get painting done so I can start to do the glass work.

15. manta

manta Thread Starter

A short update.

Well I finished the painting and assembly of the side and the shelves. Then it was time for the glass work. Assembled the outer shell of DSB and as I was busy cleaning off excess silicone heard a loud crack and saw the maid standing on the glass of the refugium. Could have killed her but, now have to go and buy new glass tomorrow.

Also started work on the ATS nearly done need to finish water outlet and and emergency overflow and the lights. Building has been easy enough

Will post pics tomorrow.

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

OUCH Manta! Sorry to hear, mate! But, this sounds like a great build!

17. manta

manta Thread Starter

ATS update

Ok while I am waiting for the rest of my glass here is an update on the ATS I am
    busy building

[​IMG]

The normal white electrical pvc fits snugly into 25mm piping. Blue pieces will be split and form the holders for the screens

[​IMG]

I then made a slit in the white PVC piping (so simple and easy with a Dremel) and perspex sheet is the fitted to this, drilled and held in place with cableties.

It was then time to make the spray unit.
    [​IMG]

As can be seen the spray unit is made out of 20mm pvc and is so easy to lift out for cleaning.

Hint : If you run out of Q-Bond it is very easy to make at home. Use normal super glue and Sodium bicarb. Much cheaper than q-Bond and just as strong
    [​IMG]

Next step is to fit the drain piping and overflow and the electrics and cooling fans which I will do this week.

18. manta

manta Thread Starter

Well I have finished stage one of the building process and will probably fired up the refuguim and dsb over the long weekend. What I am planning to do is to interconnect the DSB, refuguim and ATS this weekend and letting it cycle.

Thereafter I will add the DT and current dsb and connect them all up.

Will post pics when up and running.

19. jacquesb

Cool Manta! Looks good so far, mate!

20. manta

manta Thread Starter

update on Flitration system

Well here is an update on what I have done so far. It took me quite a while longer to do the piping than I anticipated. At least all the piping is in glued and waiting. With all the piping I will have to wait until the weekend to collect sand for DSB and refugium anyway here goes a pic.

[​IMG]

21. jacquesb

Looking really good so far, Manta! Great job!

Can you perhaps tell us which pumps COMES FROM upstairs?

Recent Posts