Drainage pipe

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Jacojs, 20 Jul 2010.

1. Jacojs

Jacojs

Howzit people.

I want to incorporate a drainage pipe on my tank a)For water changes and b)well for water changes or tank drainage :p

I however can't find any threads about how to do this or where the hole must be drilled etc etc.

Pictures of you guys that have a drainage pipe worked in will be very much appreciated, I am still planning my tank so any advice or ideas very welcome.

Thanks.
    Jaco.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

what kind of overflow will you be using ? Is this just for water changes ?

Last edited: 20 Jul 2010
  4. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

On my 2 m system i drilled a whole on my side panel(i only had one viewing panel) exactly at the 10% system volume mark.

So when ever i did a WC...i conected a pipe to the plug opended the valve and walked away...after a few minutes it was drained and i just filled it up again.

Was very nice having it like that.

I know others drill a whole in the bottom panel with pvs in tank(t piece)....stoppers on the ends with wholes drilled in pvc pipe, the small wholes are made o that the fish dont get sucked in.(the then cover the pipes with Live rock to cover it up)

Other guys has it inline with their CLS(Closed Loop System)

5. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

This is just how i did it, it worked great and is pretty much fail safe, only issue could be that it is visually unappealing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Jul 2010
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cheap and simple
    Just use flexible hose, same as on your return pipe. Drop one side in your drum / drain / tiolet / bath - whatever, not on your grass (the salt levels will eventually built up in your soil and not be good for your garden)

Put at other end 2*90 degree garden irrigation connectors, to make a hook that can hook over the side of the tank. Obviously with shot piece hose between the elbows.
    And then on the end point, inside the tank, add another piece of hose, short piece to exactly 10% mark. Or 20% if you want 20% water changes.

Then it is a simple as hook it over, suck other end and start the syphon (but not when you dropped that end in the toilet :y13:

Walk away, have a beer, watch some rugby (well if we can defend) and return later.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2010
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And put a net of some sort over open end. I had a clown that ended up in my throw away drum. He went for a jolly good ride via the hose. Luckily for him, I saw him before I dumped the water.

8. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thanks all.

Riaan, yours sound easier, less complicated and probably cheaper as well, could you please supply a pic or 2 when you do it, I seem to not be able to understand exactly how to do setup sumthin if I don't see a pic....sorry and fanks.

Jaco.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do not have a pic.
    But it is basically the same as a normal over the top return line, without a syphon break. Only the point goes in deeper upto 10% level. It will drain the tank until it slurps in some air to stop the syphon.
    Exactly the same as what will happen if you do not have a syphon break and the power goes out. Only difference is the place to where the water go to, a drum/drain for water change, or flooding your sump.

Simple, no extra ballvalves, fancy electronics, nothing that can give you cr@p. Just using what is free, always there, and never fails - Gravity.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

O, and by the way,
    Happy Birthday....
    May you have no floods this year...:)

11. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thanks!! :thumbup:

Jaco.

Recent Posts