Urgent help needed Dragon wrasse kills

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by abla155, 27 Jun 2012.

1. abla155

abla155

Hi. My cousin gave me his large reef tank containing of about 800L of water. But he didn't have much knowledge of marines and we used to have nrmal marine tanks withoout reef and coral. I came home this afternoon and found the dragon wrasse eating something but could not see what it was except it was lavender and looked like it was a shrimp oof some kind but have no such knowledge of this thing in my tank. I went to do some research on this wrasse and seems like if you don't feed it 3 to 4 times a day it will eat my smaller fish and snails. Apart from it being not suitable for a reef tank. I want to urgently find out if it will eat my smaller marine fish if not fed 3 or 4 times a day. If it will eat my fish I will need to give this wrasse away but don't know if anyone will deal with this destructive fish.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shiks

shiks

I bought one fully knowing what it was capable of and thought NO i can do it ......short story later fish won.....and i lost abt R2000 worth of livestock and coral....they are beautiful fish but they do grow quickly and do nip and pick on tank mates if not fed well......i tried the extreme 3 to 4 times feeding regime to keep it happy for a while but it just spiked my bio load and the tank wasnt properly equiped to cope and just ended up causing myself more headache.....my advice get a catch box ...borrow beg or buy one ....get it out and donate back to lfs or a reefer with a pred tank better equiped to cater for its needs.

I am not saying its impossible to keep one , as lfs do import them to sell to us just that it requires a special kind of tank combination not suited to a general coral and docile fishmates setup.

They also tend to damage anything not bolted down as they get bigger and i found him tossing around corals on a regular basis to look for food , hence coral also get damaged in the long run if they are just placed not puttyed down .

I donated mine to a more experienced reefer with a pred tank where he would have been a med size fish .....sad day though as its one of the most exciting fish to watch. Good luck and hope u get him out .

PS also dont try a Formosa wrasse either unless u prepped for war .

4. abla155

abla155 Thread Starter

Thank you. It is the most lifely fish in my tank and my kids love to look at it when it diggs into the sand. But definately not suited for my reef tank. How big tank does one adult wrasse need? Because I have a smaller 300L tank as well?

5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yeeeeah big wrasses kind of need the right sort of tank. Dragons, Coris and Thalassoma won't eat corals, but they do like to flip rocks over to eat the bugs underneath. They're not usually fish eaters unless they're vastly bigger than their tankmates and can fit them into their mouths. They will definitely eat your shrimp, tubeworms and snails though.

6. abla155

abla155 Thread Starter

Thank you. So that is what happend to my tube worm. My mushrooms are also not on the rock anymore. I would need to move him urgently into the other tank if suitable.

7. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

What size is it? Adults reach about 25-30cm and will need bigger than a 300l. Should be fine for a juvenile for a while.

8. abla155

abla155 Thread Starter

The dragon wrasse is about 13cm.

Recent Posts