downsides to small return pump?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ziyaadb, 14 Jul 2010.

1. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Are there any major issues with having a small return pump? I was testing my system for leaks last night and the sound of the water gushing over the overflow was a bit too much as i have a room close to the tank where someone sleeps. Its a Lound noise and i was contemplating changing the return pump from the 2200Lph eheim to something smaller maybe 1200lph so that a smaller amount goes down causing less noise. your thoughts? I tried using the ballvalve that we have on the system to raise the level in the overflow but that just caused issues.
    system is 455L.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

what issues did closing the valve cause ? It took very fine adjustments on the valve to get mine silent, also try to hold two or three fingers infront of the outlet untill all the hair has escaped (like you would a garden hose)

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

Pic of the tank and overflow so stand pipe is out
    [​IMG]

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Ziyaad - your filtration system should be more efficient. Other than that - no negative effect at all. And I would perhaps even suggest going for a 1500 liter per hour return pump on a 455 liter tank.....

6. regis

regis

jacques I am running a 3500L/h at the moment, my tank is 300L. would a 1600L/H pump with a head pressure of 2.8m be okay, sorry to climb in here but was thinking the same as my tank sounds like niagra falls.

7. vatso

vatso

I don't see how little water movement through the sump would be bad? just need to make sure enough water is getting to the skimmer for it to do it's job as well as over the DSB if you have one

8. jacquesb

Hi Regis. Yes, definitely. I have a 2500 liter per hour return pump, on a 4 meter head...

So - a 1600 liter per hour on 2.8 meters should be fine. Just remember - for your 300 liter tank, you ACTUALLY "need" 600 to 900 liters per hour cycling through.

9. regis

regis

cool will make the changes and add a ball valve.

10. vatso

vatso

How do we calculate the flow needed? I am also interested in finding out - I am running a Hailea HX-6540 Pump on my 900Ltr system - seems to work like a bomb not sure if it's not to big?

11. jacquesb

Vatso - you need +-2 to 3 times your tank size actual return flow.....

12. vatso

vatso

Does that mean I need 2700Ltr return? hmmm is there not a point where it even out?

I have a TS4 Skimmer there is no way it can circulate that much water can it?

13. jacquesb

The TS4 skimmer has either 3 x 2000 litre per hour pumps, or 2 x 3000 litre per hour. That's 6000 liters per hour. So - the skimmer itself circulates 6000 liters per hour of water internally. BUT, if the water does not flow slow enough through your sump system, then your skimmer will only be skimming the same water over and over..... Remember: the bigger the return pump, the faster the water flows through your sump system....
    Meaning - the water barely gets to the skimmer that the skimmer can do it's work properly...... the skimmer is then just skimming the same water over and over and over again.....

Recent Posts