Urgent help needed Dottyback & Damsel Problems

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by BoyuNano, 7 Sep 2011.

1. BoyuNano

BoyuNano

Okay I've got a Boyu Tl450 with a fire shrimp, a damsel and a dottyback

I added the dottyback yesterday and it gave the damsel and the shrimp a bit of grief, the tank seems to be settled but my damsel is in huge distress. It doesn't want to move from the corner of the tank, it won't even come up for food anymore.

The damsel had a bit of colour during feeding yesterday but today it's just sulking in the corner.

Is this a recoverable situation? What can I do? Was it a mistake to put more than one fish in my Nano?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Some species of dottybacks can be the most aggressive fish in a reeftank, especially in a nano, I think you need to exactly identify your fish by latin name so you can do some research on it.

4. Tony

Tony

Dottybacks are extremely aggresive fish. If you remove the dottyback and the damsel isnt too badly hurt then things should be OK and the fish may recover.

5. BoyuNano

BoyuNano Thread Starter

Thank for your help, I think it's a bicolor dottyback (purple/yellow).

I guess there are some benefits to having a bigger tank :/

6. Tony

Tony

Even in a big tank they're aggro.

7. Landu

Landu

My Bi-colour dotty got bullied by my yellowtail damsel the first day, the next day he got back at the damsel and now each has their own territory and live in harmony (my tak is 290l), the dotty's territory is about 30cm3...

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

didnt the lfs warn you?

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

petshops just want to make a sale. There are few who give good advice. We learn the hardway. Its best to know what you want and research it prior to buying

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Your best option is to probably consider taking it back to the shop and exchanging it for something else.

11. BoyuNano

BoyuNano Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I opted to put one in a seperator temporarily and the damsel has got a bit of colour again. I might give the dottyback away if the health of the damsel returns fully (attachment theory here) >> in future I just want to steer clear of any fish that have even mild aggressive tendencies.

From what I've read it seems sometimes they get along and sometimes they don't >> sometimes the damsel is the agressor to the dottyback.

Well...a lot of learning to do.

Thanks again all.

12. 2balive

2balive

Most of us have had our "damsels", mine was a "it is a good first fish" Yellowtail Damsel, think even my live-rock was scared of it.

There is a lot of non aggressive (always a relative description), fairly easy to keep fish for a nano, takes a bit of research and planning as the order that you put them in is also important and finding them may take a bit longer.

Good hunting (figuratively).

13. BoyuNano

BoyuNano Thread Starter

Ok so the dottyback never recovered from the stress caused. Tank was pretty much ok since 3 days ago but today I noticed the dottyback nipping at my fire shrimp. So the dottyback is now in isolation and "up for grabs" - If you reside in CT (Peninsula) and you want a free dottyback PM me.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue

I have the same problem with my Dotty Back( Yellow/Pink) been in the tank for month's. She is bully, while every other fish lives in harmony she goes about picking on my shrimps, darting aggressivly at my smaller fish and at times forgets her sizes and goes for the bigger guys to.

ADDING fish after she in, is a nightmare I lost a Yellow Butterfly Angel that she would not leave in peace from the minute the Angel Arrived in the tank. Take it back while you can, unless you have a big tank the Dotty back will limit you.
    PS.. mine even waits for the lights to go down and then when she thinks you not watching gives the shrimps hell!!!!

15. Fishman

Fishman

Had the same prob with my magenta (pink/purple) dottyback and domino damsel in a 4ft! The domino used to taunt her though. Its so hard choosing fish for a tiny tank...so im going fishless!

Recent Posts