Dosing pumps or reactors/stirrers

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by ChrisNell, 19 May 2011.

1. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

I bought my BB3000 skimmer, dosing SpecialBlend and Vodka, have a mature DSB with macroalgae.

I have been manually dosing phBuffer, Calcium, Magnesium en Iodine. My SPS's are growing, but I suspect that Alk/Calcium especially varies quite a lot as I do not dose every day. This obviously has a negative impact on my system stability and SPS.

So I need to start looking at alternatives to manual dosing, and it seems the choice is between automatic dosing (AM quad doser?), and buying a calc stirrer and Calcium reactor.

Your inputs please!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i am in the same boat, i have both setups etc, but since mine is a new system its hard for me to decide as i need to work out consumption etc.

but i feel dosing pumps would be my choice as they are easier to setup and creating stock solutions is the only work. where as reactors need to be tuned in, checked etc and they have a possibility of failing...
    sofar i am looking at dosing, reef code A, reef code B, reef bio fuel and a combined mixture of additives etc from brightwell

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Chris!
    All of the above methods of dosing CA an Alk work. The idea with manual dosing is to dose daily, even better, twice a day. This way, you dont get a major swing on parameters, but rather, it remains constant and stable. Your corals will do better this way. Dosing pumps and CaRX makes life much simpler though.

5. ChrisNell

ChrisNell Thread Starter

I already know what my consumption of Alk and Calcium is per day, so that hard work has already been done.

Yes, @Mekaeel, I know - need to do this every day! But short of time, like everybody else.

I would rather throw some money at the problem by taking the auto dosing or reactors/stirrers route.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

preventing spikes as stated is the pain objective automated dosing is the key to this..

i am personally looking at goin KS and CARX for calcium and Doser for other supplements such as MAG, IODINE, STRONTIUM etc etc..

Recent Posts