Dosing Potassium

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by mytank, 17 May 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

I want to dose Potassium to keep the levels in the tank correct. The test kits out there are not the most user friendly and in my opinion not to accurate.

Obviously there is a risk to over dose anything, is Potassium lethal if slightly over dosed?

Thanks for you response in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

no its not lethal if slightly overdosed. Your acros will have burnt tips if you OD. Do you have a deficiency of potassium?

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

No cause I have a daily water changing system. I want to keep the Pots at a good level so that I get the colors :)

That's why I was just making 100% sure :)

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

are you running zeovit or np pellets? A sign that you have low K is that your monti caps will appear greyish, thats what most people use to see if their K is low as there are no good tests kits here yet unfortunately.

6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I am running ZEO :) Monties still have nice color :)

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

Ah! ok eventually you will need potassium then :) .. My one orange monti got some grey patches so I need to get K-Balance. Im using KZ PIF at the moment but the problem with that is that it increases iodine too much so some corals get a green tinge..

You can hold off dosing K in the mean time, until you notice greyness on the monti caps and this may take a while to happen. Just one less thing to buy.. When you notice some greyness then you dose potassium daily until the proper colour is back, well thats what people do:p

8. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thanks dude

9. Keanan

Keanan 2time

@mytank, I read you going to Germany, why dont you get some test kits over there, read the new salifert is suppose to be super accurate.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Tremayn

Tremayn

No prob dude.. Heard Nathan is in germany at the moment so no kz stuff until next week

11. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I always buy the biggest bottles that way it last longer. Only thing I am running low on is bioMate.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  12. Monti

Monti

Those kits will be in the country shortly apparently

13. Helga

Helga

I have gone through this thread now.... very interesting, but now I'm worried :eek:

I dont test for Potassium. (will have to buy a testkit? - which one?)

I have checked the SPS now and dont see the grey spots you guys are talking about. Should one not dose once a week just as a precaution? I am dosing Aquavitro Vibrance (Iodide) once a week, so I'm cautious not to raise my Iodine levels too much!

If I should dose, what do you recommend I dose?

14. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I read the kits have landed locally and would be distributed soon :) good thought though

15. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

@Helga I know Red Sea new product range has a Potassium test kit, also comes in the multipack which has test kit for Iron, Potassium and Idione

16. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

@Helga - So even though I know Pots is so important for the corals I post the tread to understand a few things - just to give you some context:

1. How many guys actually watch their Pots
    2. How many guys dose
    3. How much guys dose

By guys I mean gals as well of course ;)

My rule of thumb and I would strongly suggest you adhere to this too..... Is if you can't test don't dose. It's like thinking you got a sore thumb and putting a bandaid on but in actual fact it might be cut blood supply to your arm ;)

It's is important and if you doing some sort of trace element replenishment into your tank (which I think you do) it should keep your pots level sorted.

Pots becomes a real issue when you running Zeo or NP as the reaction that takes place in the reactors is expensive on the Pots levels of your tanks. Most Zeo guides ( I can only comment on Zeo cause that's what I am running) state weekly water changes are more than enough to replenish your Pots levels.

My tanks daily water change system is up but not connected yet, I have had two weeks from hell at work closing off our financial year. The result haven't changed water in two weeks. SPS are looking fantastic and all my readings nitrate etc are running superb.

I am not saying don't do water changes I am saying I don't think it's a killer, you will get an indication from your montis if it is low and the deal with it. Good tank husbandary should keep your levels stable.

Hope that helps

17. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

It does I looked at it yesterday looks like a science lab and you need a phd to do it :) accuracy is the problem right now with them and salient seems to be promising a fix to that

18. Tremayn

Tremayn

The red sea K test kits have been tested and you are better off trying to guess the K levels.

If you are not running zeovit then you dont need to dose K as K gets skimmed out with zeovit. If you are particularly concerned with K then you could do water changes with KZ salt as it has high K levels..

People never dosed K before and kept great tanks. As willet said, it seems that with NP you also have to dose K, just shows how little is known about NP still and guys running it are still basically experimenting and ironing out the creases

19. Monti

Monti

Exactly- Randy holmes farley did a study a while ago which tested a number of elements across a number of hobbyest tanks. All of the tanks tested had either a K in the correct range or elevated. This was due to the high levels in many salt brands.

20. Tremayn

Tremayn

you're so sexy monti, hahah:p

21. Helga

Helga

Thanks so much guys!
    I do a weekly 15% waterchange and use Aquavitro Salinity salt. The tank has never looked so good and the parameters are very stable. The monti's I have is growing like weed and the colours are good. So at this stage, according to what you are saying, I dont think I have something to worry about. I also believe in never ever dosing before I havent tested. And I dont have a PHD in science, so the test kits are not an option now :lol:

Recent Posts