Dosing of vinegar

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Dee318i, 16 May 2012.

1. Dee318i

Dee318i

Hi guys

Did some reseach on dosing vinegar in a saltwater aquarium and some people say that they got amazing results, just wanted to ask if this is an option for marine tanks and what are the side effects if there are any

Thanx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

It's just another form of carbon dosing.

4. rakabos

rakabos

vodka, vinegar, sugar, whatever floats your boat :p

5. brentch

brentch

I used it when dissolving my kalk, but stopped as it was also feeding my cyano. I think this was because of the actual amount (15ml) I was dosing, which was way too much for my 800L tank. I stopped dosing vinegar, but rather dose a mixture of 100% ethanol (50ml), 2tsp glucose, 1 tsp sugar (fructose and sucrose), 50ml vinegar (5% acidity), and then made up to 250ml with RO water. I add 1.4ml per day and this has helped quite a bit. My cyano has disappeared and my water shimmers now!

6. brentch

brentch

Correction, 2 tsp sugar... white sugar...

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

@Dee318i dosing vinegar is carbon dosing. 1stly you need a good efficient skimmer like a reef octo NW or JNS. You have to research a lot about carbon dosing prior to implementing it as if done wrong it can give you all sorts of hell. The combination of Vodka Sugar Vinegar (VSV) is better than just dosing one, the stuff works well but you just have to know what you are doing..

Have a read through these

VSV | Achieved through Observation and Experimentation
    The VSV Method | FAQ

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Dee318i

Dee318i Thread Starter

Thanx a lot guys i will try what you said I have a skimz sm201 skimmer that is rated for tanks 800 - 2000 litres and my tanks volume is 648 litres i do plan to put an NP pellet reactor in at a later stage, but i need something temporarily to help with algae control, will doing what brentch stated above help with that?!?

9. Reefhead

Reefhead

What fitration are you running now?
    Carbon dosing is not a temp solution at all
    I would suggest that you do a lot more research into it as it does not sound right for what you are looking to achieve (by the sounds of it)

10. Dee318i

Dee318i Thread Starter

Well im running bio filtration, as in that is just my live rock and then i have my protein skimmer, i use filter floss occationally but that is about it, i just started my tank about 4 months ago and im quite new to the hobby so im not very clued up about all these little tips and tricks to keep a marine aquiarium going strong, i do do water changes every two weeks and only feed twice a day, so far its been working, just algae grows on the glass within like 3 days of cleaning it off, just looking for something i can do to reduce nitrates and phosphates in the tank

11. Reefhead

Reefhead

With your experience level (And dont get me wrong, that is not an insult as we all started somewhere) I would really not suggest carbon dosing of any sorts.
    I run NP Pellets on my system and I really love them but have also hit some bumps in the road while using them and without all the research I did before hand those bumps could have wiped out my whole tank.
    So although I do use them myself I prob would not reccomend them for you just yet
    Have a look at some more natural and chemical forms of filtration for now, something like DSB's, fuges, Phosphate remover
    Those IMO would be a much better starting point for you then some form of carbon dosing

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

With vinegar, you should not exceed 1ml per 100L of total system volume per day for the first week.
    Then you slowly increase per week, starting by adding .5ml extra to the volume per day for the first week. Then every week, you double up on the extra part, so week 3, 1ml extra, week 4 extra 2ml... But you need to ensure the parameters are stable. As soon as the phosphates drops, then you do not increase the volume. If the phosphate level drops even more, then reduce the extra volume.
    Read up on it.

I did it a while, actually I destroyed the aiptasia at the same time. Used a insulin injection to inject directly into the aiptasia body some vinegar.

But I found my sponges did retreat and started looking worst for wear. So I just totally stopped with vinegar dosing. Now, only the occasional death squirt to an aiptasia that pops up.

13. Express Reef

Express Reef

Nuke them:p

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Also, once you start with carbon dosing, you need to maintain it. The more complex you make your system husbandry, the higher the risks you have when you need a tank sitter for that well deserve holiday down by the coast (while collecting some live stock).

Follow the KISS rules. Keep It Simple Stupid.

15. Reefhead

Reefhead

Sorry for going a bit off topic but did you just inject vodka straight into the aptasia or did you dillute it a bit first?

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Full strength
    No holding back.
    Full on Kill Mode.

17. Reefhead

Reefhead

Thanks going to try that

18. Dee318i

Dee318i Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the help, i think ill stay away from carbon dosing, as im not experienced enough, but thanks for all the advise!!

19. Tremayn

Tremayn

Im gonna try that also! Kalk does nothing but P*** em off

@Dee318i read up on prodibio biodigest and bioptim. Thats the easiest carbon dosing and its ideal for someone wanting to start out with carbon dosing. Just use 1 vial per 200L twice a month. Thats it. Its not very aggro like zeovit or np with regards to attaining a LNS or ULNS but it does work

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Phasors set to vapourise!

Recent Posts