Doser unit vs kalkstirrer

williet

Look at the shiny LEDs!!!
Reaction score
Hi all i have gone the sps route in my tank. I am currently dosing calcium via my kalkstirrer and these ate my water parameters
Alk 10
Calcium 500
Mg 1290

Now the question i have bought a doser( i know and impulse buy) now do i use that in conjunction with kalk stirrer or do i chuck one of them?

Your thoughts on this?

what kind doser did u buy?
If it were me i would have lowered the kalkmix in the stirrer...
also stop the kalk until the levels drop to where u want it to be.there after determine your daily usage and then put the amount of kalk u need in the stirrer and then monitor...

or you could sell the stirrer to make some money back that you spent on the doser and use the doser to dose everything....

The doser is a Marine magic

Very cool cheap buy works well! Though maybe using it to dose mg and othe trace minerals maybe

My stirrer is aqua medic and is secondhand..,

ditch the kalk and use the doser. A crappy side effect of kalk is that it binds po4 in the water column and then settles on rocks/substrate and you get brown slime or other algae growth even when your po4 may read very low. Lol I just realised that this is my problem!

@ My tank

You use Brightwell's reefcode A and B

@ Tremayn

Interesting bit I read Kalk presipitates phosphates ?

This might explain the Zero reading on phosphates and the white dust accumulating on the black substrate????

Anyone ?

Last edited:
@ My tank

You use Brightwell's reefcode A and B

@ Tremayn

Interesting bit I read Kalk presipitates phosphates ?

This might explain the Zero reading on phosphates and the white dust accumulating on the black substrate????

Anyone ?

@williet Thank you so much. I didn't know that. I have a profilux x4 doser just sitting here doing nothing and waiting to just get it going :)

How does one know when to dose? Is there a formula for L of water or is there a probe for the main Profilux controller and or other controller?

Or does one assume x amount per day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use tropic marin bio calcium. It adds everything in perfect proportion. No dosers, no reactors, no stirrers, no computers; just a scoop. I've used it for years on SPS tanks. You just need to work your daily consumption out which takes about a week to figure out

@mytank

Get testkits for alk, mg, and ca
Set a base line first test
Then test over 3 days to a week and then calculate the difference and presto you calculated the consumption! Then follow the bottle instructions to satisfy the consumption!

Thanks guys. Right now it's two scoops a every two weeks of tropic marine. I don't think I am going to dose this one - to risky

Sent from my SGH-i917 Microsoft Windows Phone 7 (Mango) using Board Express

ditch the kalk and use the doser. A crappy side effect of kalk is that it binds po4 in the water column and then settles on rocks/substrate and you get brown slime or other algae growth even when your po4 may read very low. Lol I just realised that this is my problem!
you go any links to your statement above ??

you go any links to your statement above ??

@Afsal ... Here is a quote
"The kalkwasser will bind PO4 from the water column and this compound will accumulate at the sand and rocks for example. Under several conditions the PO4 can be leached back in the water column, also algae for example can pick up the PO4 directly from the substrate. It can be typical for such systems to have no detectable PO4 in the water column which several kind of algae grow very well.

Kalkwasser does not have a direct impact to the system or its components so its more a general advise."

here is the page, its towards the bottom
ZeoVit Basic Information (FAQ) - zeovit.com

I dont have a problem using kalk, using it for almost 13 years. All I get is nice red and pink algae when using the kalk. It means also using less calcium carbonate when dosing kalk. I use a calcium reacter with the a kalk stirrer.

yeah most people dont have issues with kalk, but I have what that oke is describing. So I guess its something to keep in mind

Funny enough my prob sounds exactly like that! Got some algae growing (brown) even on substrate now! but I think thats due to old halide tubes lol!

If i cut out the stirrer? How do manage my ph if i use reefcode a and b and mg?

Or most people don't know they have issues.:biggrin:

Very possible lol

Funny enough my prob sounds exactly like that! Got some algae growing (brown) even on substrate now! but I think thats due to old halide tubes lol!

If i cut out the stirrer? How do manage my ph if i use reefcode a and b and mg?

you would have to know how much alk & ca your tank is using everyday then dose accordingly. It takes a while to get it spot on hey

Back
Top Bottom