Dorrey's TL550 Tank progress

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Dorrey, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Dorrey

Dorrey

Just thought I'd share my progress here and post some pics as I go along with my new tank setup.

Found a nice spot for my TL550 and then started to clean it out a bit before adding sand water and live rock. I bought the tank second hand so just to be safe I rinsed everything off and let it dry thoroughly before putting pump, heater, skimmer, uv light back into the tank. Started to wash my sand last night, rinsing and rinsing and rinsing some more just be make sure I remove all the dirt that could be stuck in it.:p

As a result I have broken 3 nails in the process (LOL):eek: I guess as a woman my hands are just not used to so much water and hard labour. ha ha ha ha

I added the sand to the tank and decided on a bed of 3 cm's. Getting my SW tomorrow and adding and then starting up the cycle.

Will keep u posed and add some pic's soon.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Good Luck..."cycle" is the hardest...all you do is stare at LR..at least in my case...!!:p

4. Meneer

Meneer

Good luck with the venture - and remember MASA LOVES pics!! :)

5. Dorrey

Dorrey Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Cleaning tank and filters
    [​IMG]

My beautiful white sand after washing, washing washing, washing and washing..LOL
    [​IMG]

6. KeeganP

KeeganP

:thumbup: nice going... Belinda knows all about the cycle wait hehehe the hardest part when starting up...

7. belindamotion

:rofl: :tt2:Yeah...I think I was the only one what stared at LR for almost 6 months ..:p

8. Dorrey

Dorrey Thread Starter

I'm lucky, going to get cycled water direct from FS tank....so don't have to wait to cycle.:tt2: :biggrin: Woohoo

9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

you will still have to wait for cycle as your live rock etc will have some die off. Water contains only a little bit of the bacteria you need. you cant skip the cycle period. you can shorten it but cant skip it.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011
  10. Meneer

Meneer

Hi - You still need to cycle - although your period might be slightly shorter..

All your filter material(Bioballs, sand etc) needs to have some bacteria colonies starting to grow on them...

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Dorrey, did you read that link I posted for you? There's a lot of info on cycling as tank. If the rock is cured already and you use "secondhand" water, there will still be die-off on the live rock as it was exposed to air in transport, although minimum, but you can add Seachem stability to help with the bacteria. Still wait a while, only bad things happen quickly in this hobby.

12. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I will also get rid of the bio balls and the the ceramic rings.In the long run its gonna do more harm than good. Or you can cycle with them and when your cycle is finished you can slowly start taking them out and replace it with something like purigen and phosguard. maybe run activated carbon when you need it. That big black spunge is also crap,replace it by filterfloss which you need to replace every two or three days. I struggled with my tank for over a year untill I took out all that crap.

13. KeeganP

KeeganP

:tt2:

14. Dorrey

Dorrey Thread Starter

Yes Tobes, I did read up on that link u said I should look at. It is very informative. I will let my tank cycle before adding any fish or coral. Not going to take a chance there.

Charl, why is the bioballs and ceramics a problem?

15. belindamotion

:rofl:

16. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Bio-balls are beneficial in a reef tank to a point or any other filter material for that matter. Over time without the proper cleaning of this media, your bio-media will become dirty and your nitrates will become higher and higher as they act as nitrate magnets IMO.
    To retard this problem, you will have to do some extra cleaning of the balls, by rinsing them in saltwater ,preferabbly the water in your tank.The bio balls and the ceramic rings also do the same kinda job as purigen etc.but as I said they trap detritus. By removing them you can replace them with something that works alot better and that is easier to use.

17. Meneer

Meneer

Ditto on the Purigen :thumbup:

18. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Dorrey, the thing is, bio-balls and ceramic rings work very well to convert ammonia to nitrites and then to nitrates, but this is where their function stops. So in fact your nitrates will keep on climbing. For a fish only setup it is fine, but with a full reef with corals and inverts it will only cause problems in the long run as they don't like high nitrates.

19. belindamotion

Sorry to highjack...:blush:...I've removed my Bioballs and Ceramics on my BOYU TL-450(58L) a few days ago and replaced that with LR...I'm told by many that that's better..do I "replace" it at a later stage with "fresh and clean" LR and how would I know that I've actually got enough in the Chamber...meaning, maybe too big pieces and that I should break it into even smaller pieces and therefore get in more LR in the Chamber...:blush:

Last edited: 9 Jul 2011
  20. Meneer

Meneer

I think Live Rock will have the same problem as Bioballs - they could get clogged up and gather detritus. If you remove them, you are removing huge colonies of bacteria.

I would still go for Purigen. 100ml treats up to 400 litres.

The advantage is you can recycle or re-activate them by bleaching them.

Personally, I would go for the 250ml, and devide them into 4 "Pool Gobbler" bags or something similar. That way, they can be removed 1 at a time to be cleaned or re-activated, and the remaining 3 will have more than ample capacity for bacteria growth. Read about Purigen HERE

Last edited: 9 Jul 2011
  21. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I agree with the live rock.there's not enough movement in the chambers for live rock to work and it will build up with detritus. All I run in mine is phosguard,purigen,filter floss and my skimmer. If you want to go for a bigger bio load then you will have to upgrade your skimmer.otherwise keep the load to a minimal and you'll be alright.ill say the less stuff at the back the better.regular water changes work best in the nano.oh,and don't overfeed.

Recent Posts