Doing it right - Sump Design

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alias, 23 Mar 2011.

1. Alias

Alias

ok, so the sump i bought will take too long and cost about the same to modify as just building a new one. gonna get the glass cut tomorrow and build it myself. Just want to run the specs passed the guru's. maybe @RiaanP can give his input too.

seeing as i'm going to build a new one i may as well build it to fit the frame rather than get the frame to fit the sump. So there is a space limitation which means the sump has to be 550x290mm (outside measurements). So then how big should my chambers be in terms of length and in hight?

I have a BOYU WG-308 skimmer rated at 120l/h and a RESUN B-1500 return pump. I am not sure how to position the skimmer so it works effectively and what the water level must be around the skimmer.

Gonna get this glass cut first thing tomorrow and hopefully have water in the system by tomorrow night if all goes well so hoping to nail down the design tonight, any help will be appreciated.

:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yikes, Not a lot to work with.
    Anyway, 6mm thickness should be OK, 8mm more expensive and I think on that size its overkill.
    total length 550. Will make first chamber 150mm. I know the little skimmer of yours will look lost in there, but at least then you can upgrade later and at least fit a Reeftek TS1 in the same chamber, will be a tight fit, but will work. Return chamber 130mm. Might even be smaller, but then you must have an auto top up.

That will leave you with 246 center chamber.

Width of the sump, minus 6 * 2 will leave you with internal width of 278. That is 68 cm square.

A TS1, drowning height is 280mm. Deeper than that and you need a stand under your skimmer. Anything to raise it. I'm using 2* 40mm pvc to lift mine.

So first divider 280mm high (or if you use a stand 320mm). Second divider 10mm shorter than first.

Sump height 380mm, that should leave you with enough room for when the power goes out. Coincidently that is about the height of standard Daro 90L tanks.

Panels you need, remember to keep the glass thickness in mind when you order the glass. Side panels and Dividers width should be 278.
    Bottom panel 278 by 538.
    Front length 550 by 380.
    Side panel 278 by 380.
    Dividers 278 by 280, other one 278 by 270 (unless you use a stand then add 40)
    Just check my calculations. (I'm having a beer at the moment)

Alias likes this.
  4. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

thanks @RiaanP, you rock! will double check equations and get glass cut tomorrow.

1 question, is 68cm squared enough?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what is the size again of your display?

6. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

600x300x300

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

8. AndreM

AndreM

Thanks RiaanP, mind if I also ask a few questions? :)

Do you know what the drowning height of the TS2 is? I'm not sure if I should put mine on a stand or not. The water level in my DSB will be 30cm.

My display tank is 120cm x 50cm (footprint) x 70cm (height) and my DSB will be 44cm x 32cm. That is only 23%? Will that work?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a TS2 in my play tank. Will check tonight.
    Basically the drowning height is about 10mm below the exit pipe.

The bigger the better. But I'm on 27% at the moment. And it works. But I got another 90L refugium separate tank. So cannot really compare apple with apple.

Andre, your TS2 footprint, check it as well, you can make the first chamber smaller. I thing you need about 240mm to fit it in (have to confirm). That will add precious real estate to the DSB area. Only thing is to be able to position the TS2 so that the exit is not too close to the sump side. Another plus with having a deep chamber for skimmer is that you do not have splashes or loads of bubbles on the skimmer exit, that helps a lot in reducing salt creep.

Recent Posts