Dog Fish

Reaction score
picture.php

I recently went over to Fish Only and bought a Dog Fish, pretty interesting fella. My Cow fish was gone after a day, could it be him? He is not aggressive to the other fish at all, but he is the only one big enough to "eat" a cow fish. If he will eat my other fish I would rather take him out.

Please tell me if anyone had similar problems

Dog Face puffer fish is very territorial and aggresive, they can only be kept alone with the tank and not with fellow members of the same species.. He will eat other fish. So i think he had a nice meal..

Hi Deon,

Not sure about the Dog Fish ID...I know a certain species of shark as dog fish.

That looks like a Black Spotted Puffer. They eat a variety of things including other fish...unfortunately I havent kept them so wont be able to tell you if he is the bad guy or not

Not to mention that he was having a field day munching on the zoas.....:tt2: Which led to me being the new owner of these now... Love that fish.... hehe ;)

Last edited:
Not to mention that he was having a field day munching on the zoas.....:tt2: Which led to me being the new owner of these now... Love that fish.... hehe ;)

lol I wonder if he likes being petted hehe, darn I was going to say I want one but not if he is a zoa muncher :(

As a Owner of puffers for 13 years. I love them, But they eat everything..
And you gotta make sure u feed them hard foods to keep their teeth filed down :)

My sweetie : Awesome character and his beak like teeth can hook you like a birds beak and yes you can pet mine but when removing your hand from the tank he has to be distracted or will hook his teeth into your fingers .....
14844d7f48fcf3ba4.jpg

And he's in the 6 foot fish only because of eating my mushrooms and zoa's and he's got a fat chance of eating this bad boy of mine who is double his size .... I find it hard to believe he would eat the cow fish and there is an unspoken understanding between cowfish and other species ... Cowfish become very toxic if they feel threatened and most fish know that ... besides cowfish bodies are very hard especially their underside and their horns are just as hard as rose thorns ... maybe need to look around more for the cowfish .... if its dead somewhere in the tank then need to do some serious water changes as before they die they definately will release toxins into the water ....
14844d7f4952c903a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Chikaboo, ja luckily Maxisoft took all my corals this weekend. They would have all been gone by now.

As a Owner of puffers for 13 years. I love them, But they eat everything..
And you gotta make sure u feed them hard foods to keep their teeth filed down :)

Hi Xereo

I have just recently purchased a puffer and i am battling to get him to feed.
He seems to have his on and off days.
Could you please shed some more light on your experiences.
What do you feed yours?
I am now resorting to giving him oysters.

Nothing wrong with oysters ...... Try this trick .... feed him a little bit of oyster then something else then a little bit of oyster again and then something else .... Unfortunately they not the brightest of fish so they easily fooled .... Also extremely easy to get them to eat flakes and pellets .... liquidize some oysters and add r/o to thin the mixture .... then soak some flakes and feed ... I even do this to whole nori sheets and slowly but surely ... all my fish eat everything I give them ..... Just find what the like and trick them .....

Thanks Chkaboo, with my puffer he was eating shrimp but then stopped eating.
In desperation i thought let me try an Oyster and he loves it but i have to watch him as the triggers i have, all go for it.
I also have to leave it in the shell for the puffer as he is too slow if i drop it in the tank.
I literally hold in in tongs while he eats.
The only other problem is Oysters as you know are expensive, do you or anyone else know where you can buy bulk cheap oysters in Cape Town?

When I saw a dog fish at a shop in jhb, 1st thing I thought was DAAAAMMN thats one ugly fish haha

Back
Top Bottom