Does LED work ...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Barend, 27 May 2012.

1. Barend

Barend

Hi everyone Just wanted to share something about LED that i noticed in my own tank today. I was asking everyone about the effect of LED and if they have such a great effect on your tank. Well when I was looking for a picture today is saw a old pic of my DSB that I took on the 7 April and I installed a 4 foot T5 and a small 4 watt LED(4x1 watt LED) nothing fancy but look at the results.

If you look at the first pick you see what it looked like when I started and installed the lights but look at what it looks like now. The LED's sit in the middle behind the post so you cannot see them so well but most of the real grouth is in the middle directly under the LED's and the two sides have minimal growth.

Just thought i would share with you in case you are not already convinced woth all the technical jargon. This is proof of the actual effect of 4 small 1 watt leds.

Imagine what a proper system can do for your tank.

[​IMG]
    7 April 2012
    [​IMG]
    30 Aril 2012
    [​IMG]
    27 May 2012 a
    [​IMG]

27 May 2012 b

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

hardcore growth bro! My macro didnt grow that fast under an energy saver

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Good growth, but it is not only the light that makes them grow. Depends on the nutrient load in your system.

But anyway, you have to move your heater. A little mishap with RO topup and the heater could be exposed, overheating and possible it can crack. The thermostat part at the top section must be under water at all times.

5. Barend

Barend Thread Starter

Thanks Riaanp that was the old heater that did not work. I'd have moved the new one to the right. Now it is safe. But thank you for the input every bit of advice is welcome.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

your DSB, seems a bit shallow. How deep is the sand? Normally around 150mm is the advised depth. If you need to make it deeper, then add a 5mm layer per week. That should give the critters in the sand ample time to migrate upwards.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

agreed a good tip

8. Barend

Barend Thread Starter

Thank you guys. Nice to have met you yesterday Riaan. My DSB is between 12 and 13 cm deep. I will add some more sand to get it to 15 cm. I have spent a fortune on the different media available will justy add the last 3 cm with playpen sand.

9. Barend

Barend Thread Starter

I bought one of those LED spots yesterday intening to put it in my sump but ended up dangeling it over my DT it is a 10 watt 800lm 5500k LED amd it makes a enormous difference. in combenation with my T5's on its own it is not strong enough.

Recent Posts