Do you quarantine

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by butcherman, 19 Apr 2011.

Voter count: 103
?

Do you quarintine your Livestock?

Poll closed 19 May 2011.
  1. Yes Always

21.4%
  2. Some times but its a pain

14.6%
  3. I want to but, lack the knowledge/facility

23.3%
  4. No, never

40.8%
  1. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

do you quarintine your Livestock?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I ashamadly must admit I am in the "no never" catagory...I have the facilities and know I really should, but I just dont seem to, tried it once and lost a fish to jumping out the QT so gave it a skip since :p

Its going to bite me in the ass one day for sure...3 years and no diseases...the lucky streak has to end one day.

4. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

I quarentined my regal for 4 weeks, came out perfect, eating an fat as hell...... Week 4 I added him to my DT an boom!!!! Whitespot.... Sadly I had no cases of whitespot before him so it couldn have been lurking in my tank.. So,again I ask, is it really necesary to QT a fish?????

5. keyaam

keyaam

I never ever did and will probably only look into it when i start a new tank as im fully stocked atm. I dont buy fish all over the place like some people do. I only buy from one lfs and experienced reefers. Although i have a quarantine tank just incase

6. seank

seank

Sadly, I am in the same boat

7. amalick

amalick

Absolutely I do, this is a non negotiable for me. I never EVER want to go through disease in my system again.

Soooo many good stories have come from QT and sooo many bad ones from no QT.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I used to be one who tried my luck. No Quarantine.

Now, unless its a fish from out of a clean, disease free tank, I quarantine my fish.

Everything else I do quarantine. I must admit, I lost more fish in quarantine, than I added to my display. That is pretty k@k. Various reasons, Whitespot after 30 days in quarantine, big breakout. Fish (Midas Blennie) that jumped. Water changes done to fast, and fish not happy, me needed more experience the hard way - now got a drip system to add the 25L into quarantine over an hour.

My display is disease free, now 2 years. Only fish I lost from display last 8 months since I went smaller is 2 Blue Green Chromis. One jumped over the bracing. Other disappeared.

Certain fish I believe can not be quarantined at all. Copperbands, Manderins and Lawnmover Blennies comes to mind.

Method I use is a variance of the bucket method. 42L plastic container. 3 days, only heater small pump pointing upwards and some PVC pipe. After 3 days I drain 50% water via 1Micron filter into another 42L container with its own heater, pump and PVC pipes. 50% water topup from display. Catch fish in plastic bag and move it over. Never lift the fish from the water as that put a lot of stress on the fish. Repeat process 4 times, total 12 days. Rinse container, heater, pump everything first in boiling water, then in tap water, leave it in there for a day, rinse with RO, leave in the sun to dry for 2 days. Survive that whitespot....

Then fish go into quarantine tank for 3 to 4 weeks. But now, my quarantine tank became a peppermint shrimp tank. Damn, needs another tank...

Last edited: 19 Apr 2011
  9. butcherman

butcherman Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

I onlt recently strated my QT, decided rather safe than sorry.
    Too many sob stories doing the rounds!

10. robertkukla

robertkukla

i never have but will have to look into it soon

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Same problem - my 1m QT has ended up becoming a coral frag/holding tank, complete with some DLSB, live rock, and an algae filter :blush:

I did vote "Yes/Always", but my idea of a QT differs widely from that which is normally accepted practise. Unlike most, I believe that a newly aquired fish must be kept in a tank that is as "natural" as possible - NOT in a bare tank with only a few plastic pipe fittings. My QT is thus a small "reef" tank in it's own right (well, preferably without all the corals that I currently have in it...). I believe that stress is one of the biggest killers of newly aquired fish, and introducing them to a tank with some sand substrate, some rock, and some macro algae growing in it, MUST be less stressful than a "bare" tank. Also, the mature setup eliminates the risk of ammonia/um and nitrite poisoning. This works for me, because I don't buy fish very often (my last one was perhaps 2 years ago...), and any disease/parasite introduced to the QT will have died for sure during the interval between adding fish...

IF I observe that the fish is sick, I will of course remove it to a HOSPITAL tank, which is "bare", in which to then treat it. I only needed to do so twice during the past 12+ years.

Hennie

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

its weird how we all know we should QT new fish and yet the majority dont from the pole...guess we all like to live dangerously :p

13. Suhayl

Suhayl

You guys are scaring me with all this fishy dieseases. Most of my fish I bought over the years are from Sterlig in Roodepoort, there survival rate was very good. I might just setup a qt in the near future, better to lose one than all my display tank fish.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

its like after final year in school, you and mates go down to Margate to celebrate the fact that you are now done with school

without condoms

Yeah, you can do it, but is it safe, Will you visit the doctor, or have some girl you barely remembers knocking on your door in a couple of months?

15. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

also one should dip corals as well....
    CoralRX or brightwell mediDip

16. butcherman

Good tip!:thumbup:

17. butcherman

anyone else want to vote?

18. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I am getting my QT setup next week... I learned the hard way.

19. butcherman

right on!

20. maxisoft

maxisoft

Aha, Spoken from experience....??? :lol:
    So you also have some kids you didn't know about....???? :tt2:

21. Paul B

Paul B

I have not quarantined in over 30 years.

Recent Posts