Do you equalise water changes with the main tank's temperature ?

Do you equalise water changes with the main tank's temperature ?

• Yes, using a heater

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I would like to know if who actually make sure there WC water is the same temp. as the tank ?

Last edited by a moderator:
in my case when i use synthetic.i keep the RO drum in the sun to heat up to 26 then add the water to a drum,chuck in salt until i get a SG 1.026

Last edited:
I first heat the RO up to 25deg and then add my salt - dissolves easier when water is warmer. I then leave the heater and powerhead inside the drum until I do a water change. I match the temp and salinity(using a refractometer) as close as possible to make my fishies feel comfortable in their glass home :)

You should heat the water up any way to aid dissolution. I'd imagine it would also be better to oxygenate it at the temp it will be at in the tank

Did my first water change on Saturday, Heated my water from Friday night and added salt after the water was about 20 -22deg.Left it for the night and did the water change on saturday.:thumbup:
</IMG>

The reason I asked this question is if you do the sums, the difference in temperatures has to be huge or the WC huge (%wise) to actually effect the tank.

I take Rory's point that warmer water may dissolve the salt quicker :thumbup1:

Temp. Sum:

50L @ 20°C is mixed with 450L @ 25°C, the 50L is 10% of the total volume (50 +450), so it's temperature effect will also be 10% iE: -0.5°C (10% of 5°C)

I know there maybe other factors involved with water temperature.

If I am calculating this right a normal type WC for me 5%, would need to be over 20°C difference, before I would have a significant temp. swing.

My 2c

I don't fuss as much for smaller changes (say 5-10%, although the solubility points above definitely do apply). But for larger changes (e.g. 50%) one needs to be very careful to match the temp, salinity and pH.

While it's true a smaller water change wont have much effect on the temp a .5 degree swing in a few seconds is probably pretty big to some sps... If I know the water is a very different temp I will add it bit by bit.

Depends on the size water change, for std water change of 150L then no i dont, as its only 5% of system. Larger water changes of 40 - 50% i would.

For smaller changes I have 2 drums of same size +-20l. First I make sure the level is correct (top up.) The next day I syphon from the tank into the one drum using air hose, at the same time I syphon new water from the other drum also using air hose. Takes about 30 minutes or so.
It is gradual and I can chill with the rugby and a :peroni: at the same time.:1:

I voted no but I do heat my water - to approximately same temp as tank - I find the water change as negligible effects on temp if it's not exactly the same temp.

Back
Top Bottom