Do yellow anemones exist?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Lemar, 22 Apr 2009.

1. Lemar

Lemar

I know i'm going to get scolded at but here goes... as some of you may be aware we had a tragic incident +- 5 months ago after nennie soup.
    So after that incident, we basically had to start over. I decided not to even consider an anemone again (untill at least 1 year has passed)

But then on saturday, i was surprised to get home with my father-in-law awaiting with a present.
    1x regal tang, 1x copperband butterfly and a yellow anemone.
    So obviously the first thing we did was to nennie safe our powerheads (to prevent same thing happening as last time)
    Next thing was to start reading up on this nennie, and as far as I can see it should NOT be yellow (although it's beatiful). I could possibly be a sebae anemone, but I've now read that yellow is not a natural color and that it could be dyed?
    Can anyone please give me some advice and also what can I do to save this anemone if it is dyed. And how on earth do they dye an aneomone? It's SO CRUEL!!
    Also, although he seems fine, he is moving around in the tank. I have sufficient lights (3x150W MH) and parameters are all perfect (except for magnesium)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Lemar! First off - CONGRATULATIONS with the new gifts! Secondly - yes - your tank SHOULD me MORE than fine for anemone's.
    I have found, that with my nemmies, feeding, good water flow, lighting and dosing IODINE, makes my nemmies stay where they are..... Makes them stay VERY HAPPY.

If you want to see my "piece de resistance" - have a look at the last pic I just posted, in my tank's thread.

To answer your question: NO - you do NOT get YELLOW nemmies....
    So, it is most likely bleached, and POSSIBLY died... not 100% sure. BUT, just keep vigilant at feeding the nemmie, small enough pieces of raw fish, mussel, and shrimp meat..... And the nemmie should be happy.

Please post a pic, that we can ID the nemmie.... this will also allow you to know WHERE exactly to place the nemmie, to ensure that it stay's put....

5. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Jacques, I just know you were going to be the first to respond :razz:
    Thanks for the advice, i don't understand how someone can dye a nemmie? I haven't shared the news with my father-in-law yet (he is going to be very upset) , but the day he brought me the gifts he said that the LFS assured him that the nennie was healthy and in great condition. Either they were lying, or they are just plain ignorant on what's going on.
    Im still in shock, i can't believe they dye nennies... will he ever return to his normal color?

6. jacquesb

Sorry Lemar - I was too hasty :)

You beat me to the pics ;)

OK - this nemmie is definitely "bleached/died"....

It is what is commonly called, a "purple tip anemone"..... this can be a heteractis magnifica...... Commonly called, a "Ritteri anemone"....

It prefers rocks.... not sand.... and it likes a cross water flow...... And HUGE lighting....

Good luck with the nemmie.... hope it pulls through.....

Are the tentacles "Sticky"? Or not?

Have you tried feeding it yet?

If not - wait about 3 days before you try and feed it.... then, start with tiny pieces of mussel (nemmies love mussel meat)..... Feed twice per week... and don't fret if the nemmie "shrinks" into nearly "nothing" (a little ball).... this could happen after eating..... this assist the nemmie to "poop".....

Just keep us updated, please.... often!

7. jacquesb

Yes - unfortunately this practice happens, Lemar. Don't bother to tell your father-in-law at this stage. He does not need to know the technicalities :)

Yes, the chances are good that you nemmie will indeed survive. You just NEED to feed it at least twice a week, in the beginning. Until it has grown enough..... Then you can extend the feeding to once a week....

It will slowly but surely develop the zooxanthellae inside it's body again.... which gives nemmie's their brownish glow.... ;)

Just be patient.

8. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

My clown keeps feeding him. Everything, even nori that's meant for yellow and regal tang. :lol:
    I usually feed mussle meat (i have some local anemones and a tube anemone in the tank) The clown has fed him twice since saturday, and he is eating... but does not want to stick to the rock. I've moved him 3x. last night when we got home he was floating around in the tank. what must I do to get him to stick to once place? during the day, when MH's are on, he seems content, but the moment my MH's switches off, he let's himself go. (this afternoon we've been lucky, he is still sitting where we put him this morning (after the floating last night)

9. Tridan

Tridan

10. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

11. Tridan

Tridan

Sweet its a pleasure, good luck.

Recent Posts