Do we need fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by viper357, 5 Sep 2014.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Do fish perform any vital functions or have any benefit in a reef tank? If you run a reef tank with live rock and corals, do the corals need the fish? Do the fish provide anything for the corals in terms of nutrients or anything else? Or can a fishless coral tank have just as good growth as a normal reef tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Interesting topic, tagging!

4. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

Nice thread

5. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

Tagging

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Recently I ran my 500l tank with sps only for 3 months without fish. It Wasn't hard to keep nutrientc levels in check.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2014
  7. Vetrix

Vetrix

I was joking with my wife about a SPS/Invert only tank, since all my fish have been in QT for the last 6 weeks.

Nutrient control is easy without fish, adding fuel for the corals and some pellets for the inverts.

Definitely doable I reckon.

8. jimilutz

jimilutz

I have that Julian Sprung book on coral. Just about every entry states the coral eats fish poo. I am sure that dosing phyto/zooplankton/fuels/cyclopreeze/etc would give them a good substitute. I ran my nano for a couple of months without fish but then added one tiny one and the coral seem to be doing a lot better but this may be due to the fact that I now feed daily instead of weekly.
    I also added three snails and this has assisted by culling the algae film which was bothering my tank. Snails poo too, so this could be a good substitute for adding some suspended nutrient into the tank.

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

My frag tanks used to be fish less and the corals seemed to be more than happy.
    Fish do provide food either through their waste or the excess food that they don't eat so if you go fish less you'll have to feed the corals something

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Can you run without fish? Yes you can, should you is the question. The question is running with the right amount of fish, in the ecosystem we are running everything plays a part, by having fish we alleviate the need for uncontrolled adding of packaged foods which can mess with nutrients. By having the right bioload of fish and types of fish we can eliminate the overfeeding and nutrient build up. In essence corals are water filters and will keep the water filtered and clean but by adding a fish or 2 we provide a varied food source in the form of faeces and ammonia which in turn becomes nitrate for the zoozanthallae.

11. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

What did u feed in the frag tank with no fish

Recent Posts