Do they really know?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 4 Nov 2014.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

So i have my old tank from 20yrs ago when i started marines in '91, a simple 4ft 1200x450x450 that i have kept and used.

ok i did re-do the tank, from 91 till 95 i kept a carpet anemone (50cm), 2 clown fish, 4 tube worms and 1 kenya tree all under 2 x T8 grow lights and 1 x actinic.

They thrived for 4 odd years using a zander air driven skimmer and hair curlers, now since technology has advanced somewhat in that time :tt2: and we now need zeovit, LEDs, DSB's, CARX, (Insert new Item here) to keep anemones, sorry a previous thread here on masa made me think of this while reading today, who informed the livestock in the ocean they need this? coz i asked my livestock and they all looked back at me as if i was crazy talking to a glass box :eek:

I just find it strange that when someone mentions they have a tank with T8s etc that everyone says they need to upgrade etc, this thread is to spark thought and debate :)

lets get this going
    @carlosdeandrade
    @459b
    @butcherman
    @Nemos Janitor
    @Kunhardt

these few came to mind

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Giving away your age again Dallas (insert smiley face)

Think it boils down to the fact that there's not one way to keep a successful tank. You can't say if your lights are sub standard you'll fail . . . If everything else is perfect then yes, lighting isn't too important. At the moment the hobby seems to focus on lighting so of you have perfect lights then you can slide on other factors.
    Look at certain all-in-one nanos, their lighting it rubbish but how many people have success with keeping sps and clams in them?

4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

at least i look 22

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Things have changes VASTLY!! I started marines way back in '94, I run my 250 litre with a wooden air stone skimmer, no sump, no wave makers in the main tank, just one return in the back chamber and a 2 T5s (which were stupid ridiculously priced), some ceramic bio balls, lots of "floss." It worked, my stuff thrived, even kept a Mandarin in that tank.
    These days I stress about things not working, my temp, my water quality, etc, etc, etc. We've made the hobby very complicated, I still believe in the old adage, KISS.

6. the fish

the fish

i was thinking of starting up a nano tank. already have it but was thinking about lighting.. what to use. halide, T5 or LED. but i mean. i normally only keep softies, so the kind of lighting to use doesn't really effect me? T8 will probably do the right job? i mostly feel that having these monstrous light setup is a money making thing. if it were successful in the past, why do we need overcomplicated equipment that has all these features of half that we do not even use? seriously how many people uses the lightning function on there 22k LED unit? i am going to test the T8's to see what this will bring with my softies.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

T8 will and can certainly work

But why is T5 preferred over a T8 globe?

Simple reason. T8 tube on its own is 25.4mm thick. A T5 tube is 15.9mm
    Put that in an example, say we only have 20mm spacing between the tubes. Using a dual T8 and your minimum light fitting width is 70.8mm. For a T5 that on 2 tubes would be 51.8mm
    Already a 19mm saving in space.

Only 19mm. WOW ... COMMON whats the big deal...

Well lets us expand that to a 8 Tube configuration with same 20mm gap in between.
    T8 and we need 343.2mm space. T5 and that would be 267.2mm A difference in 76mm. That difference is actually enough to fit in another 2 T5 globes and it would still be 4.2mm less in total width than the T8 unit. Hmmm... more light yes please.

So rounded, a 350mm wide T8 can take maximum 8 tubes. Where a T5 can take 10.

This is on only a 20mm gap between globes. Obvious heat between the globes so close to each other would be a problem, and we all know that individual reflectors helps a lot in giving maximum light downwards. So the gap I used in this example should increase.

So using Aquamedic T5 unit
    Aqua Medic GmbH
    Their reflectors is 80mm wide. On a 450mm wide tank, we could get in 4 * T5 reflectors easily. That would be 320mm leaving 40mm gap in front and back of the tank.

a T5 reflector is 80mm wide, for a 15.9mm tube. Tube is about 20% of the reflectors width
    Not sure what would be the equivalent T8 reflector. But applying the same 20% for the T5 on the T8, would means a reflector width of 128mm. By 48mm wider.

Put that above a tank, and with T8, we sit with 4 tubes being a 512mm wide fitting. But with T5, you can fit in 6 tubes in 480mm.

Even if the tubes do provide the same quality light. Obvious 6*T5 will output more light than 4*T8 globes.

When talking lights we are not really concerned about saving power. It's about how much light we can get above our tanks.

8. the fish

the fish

i fully understand your point @RiaanP. more light is always better, but for this one i am just going to test and see. 3x 24watt T8. over a 600 x 500 x 650 tank. DIY the lot. see what growth i get. if i m not happy i DIY again on T5.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do you even get T8 tubes in 20000K freely in South Africa?

and a bit bigger than 24W, something for a simple 4ft 1200x450x450

Lot of light research for marines focused on T5. You get a lot of options. T8 is more focussed on freshwater setups. Mostly due to being cheaper, running from magnetic ballasts instead of electronic.

10. the fish

the fish

there is one or 2 nonSponsers that i have seen some intense T8 lights in 30cm tubes that can be used on marines. that is why i am going to test.

11. brads

brads

Would be interesting to see pics of these older setups.

12. dallasg

haha that was the 90's no digital cameras

13. CameL

CameL

As a matter of interest, what types of corals were you keeping then ?

14. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

Here are some happy snaps from my BF's old systems from the 70's and 80's....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Nov 2014
  15. dallasg

i had kenya tree, tubes worms, anemones

16. CameL

CameL

pity theres no photos of the filtration, would be cool to see, but thanks for sharing!!

17. dallasg

i used a green pond koi filter with hair curlers as a wet/dry trickle filter and used a canister filter to pump up to it

18. NO3

NO3

Its the same reason as why we dont drive V8 and V12 cars anymore!!

nice thread!

19. dallasg

i disagree, we arent making things easier

20. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

It's only the top 2 pics that had external filters - the rest were undergravel.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yeah, we now have multivalve computer controlled ignition you-are-stuffed-if-something-happen cars pushing out 190kw on a 2L overstressed motor.

Years ago, cars was simple to work on.

same argument.

Rather give me a V6 that I can fix with a piece of wire...

Recent Posts