Do Long Nose Hawk Fish eat Cleaner Shrimps?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Alan, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I would love to add some fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp to my system but have a fairly large Hawk Fish, would there be a problem here??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

i think the hawk will eat them quick quick, at least one before it lands on the substrate

4. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi Alan, i got a long nose hawk fish on Saturday and he has not evens gone near my cleaner and fire shrimp.

From what I've heard and read that they wont, I know the spotted hawk fish does.

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

its just a matter of time my man wait till he is hungry he will tear that cleaner and fire limb from limb and have an expensive meal. it may be now it may be later but after a while it will be good by shrimpies.:blush:

6. Alan

Alan Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Uhm okay, a bit confusing. Maybe i should just drop one in to see the reaction, i also have 2 Marine Betta's that i worry about with the shrimps.
    By the way Happy bithday Robin, havent chatted for a while, great to see you visiting us.

7. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

thanks Alan, the one long nose hawk i had used to eat shrimp like it was favourite food, guess all fish different though

8. Alan

Alan Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Yeah maybe but after being in the hobby for so long I have learnt that those that are diffrent, it only becomes a matter of time and long term they start acting like all the others.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  9. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Alan

The Long Nose Hawk will eat shrimp if they are small enough, but won't take them if they are medium size. I had 4 cleaners with my long nose, they where about 4 cm and the Long nose was about 8/9cm.

If you add something like peppermint shrimp he will probably take them, also add them with the lights off and keep the long nose well fed.

PS - Please note that Long nose Hawk fish do like to jump, I've unfortunately lost 2 like this and won't get another until my tank is covered.

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

it is an awesome fish and 1 i would love to have but i like the shrimps as well so i will rather keep the shrimp

11. Aquaria-SA

Aquaria-SA Sponsor

There is always that one Hawk fish that might not like Cleaner shrimps..lets hope you got it..

12. Nur

Nur Starz

Hopefully I have one too, I have 2 cleaners, 1 boxer and 1 peppermint shrimp.
    All is well thus far.. Fingers crossed.

13. seank

seank

Alan, if you can recall some pics of my previous setup, I had cleaner shrimps- 2- as well as long nose hawk fish, the fish never ate the shrimps. If my connection is faster, I'll prove it with pics

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Anyone recently been to uShaka ..... Saw the other day an insert on tv about the moray tank and could not believe my eyes ... there was a cleaner shrimp doing some dentistry work on a leopard moray's mouth ... just goes to show if your tank mates well fed they won't go after your shrimp ..... same principle on fish eating corals ... keep their bellies full and they won't go taste testing some corals

15. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

As i said it more than likely that it will get chowed. where are all the guys who experienced this when u need it:whistling: There will always be the possibility of the fish not eating it but the chance of it eating it is greater. if you a gambling man i say go for it as they are fantastic creatures

16. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

i disagree, cleaner shrimp are well known for cleaning morays teeth, same as hawk fish are known to eat shrimp. as for keeping coral eating fish well fed so that they dont eat coral, may work short term but they will ultimately chomp coral, imo.

17. Achilles

Achilles

Alan size of the hawkfish and the shrimps is the main issue get the shrimps fairly large, I have kept a longnose for years before with cleaner shrimps with no obvious predation, however one thing you must do is add the shrimp at night when lights are off , this gives the shrimp time to find its cave and establish itself , if you pop it in during the day it looks to the fish like you popping in some skittish food! also fireshrimp are not as well recognised as cleaners as the common cleaner and are much more shy and less likely to be seen often.

It is possible to keep lionfish with fish that they cant swallow same applies here, if the hawk perceives it to be big for a meal it often wont try to eat it

Last edited: 5 Jul 2011
  18. Braco

Braco

tagging along guys because me too love the shrimps and was thinking of getting a hawk fish..:)

19. durleo

durleo

I have added a scarlet hawkfish and He hasnt tried his luck with my cleaners yet! He is like a cartoon character with the large gazing eyes :biggrin:

Recent Posts