Do I pull the Trigger?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by mytank, 17 Mar 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

Starting to formalize my ideas around the type of tank, fish and corals in my tank. I am really liking the coral idea for my tanks.

Since I am considering a Cube tank I have been reading the Cube threads Mekaeel's 1m Cube SPS Reef Tank - Page 16 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa. One which is specifically interesting and it's around TRIGGERS:

Niger Triggers - Reef friendly
    Clown Triggers - Reef munchers
    Piccaso Triggers - Not sure

So the "formal" docs I read say NO to triggers and corals, the forums and reviews on some of triggers I read says they pretty good with corals.

What your experiance?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Quite a few guys keep the blue throat in a reef.

4. Donovan

Donovan

I have 2 niger triggers they dont touch my corals

5. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Any Picasso or Clowns?

6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Your secret? Do you over feed them? Pics?

7. Muz

Muz

I have a niger who does not chow corals at all and have just ordered a Melichthys niger.. now reports vary on these fish, so will let you know how it goes, my concern is more around agression rather than chowing corals.

Wayne has 2 blue throats I think, they are reef safe and gorgeous.

I hand feed my trigger every second day with prawn and calamari

Last edited: 17 Mar 2011
  8. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. Yeah the reading I am doing on the net varies A LOT, some people have them and NO issues they even go on their side and allow the shrimps to clean them, some have them and they take out gobbies and damsels etc

I will probably have some clown's, some prawns and obviously need a clean up crew - worried about the clean up crew ;)

The Picasso is just a stunner

9. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

What's the going price for a baby Trigger now a days?

10. Slummies

Slummies

wwwwoooah!! i thikn you got it wrong. it is highly unlikely that your trigger is going to eat corals.. when they say not reef safe-it means, in this context, that they will eat inverts! (shrimp,etc) what i understand is these guys MAY munch on sticks which is really rare. its like saying a regal tang is not coral safe (they break sticks quite a bit)

let me know

11. Mastazee

Mastazee

Pull the trigger! I had a beautiful nigger trigger that went through two moves and two tank cracks and still grew like a machine. i also had a Picasso, in my experience completely reef safe(including my shrimps) just the picasso grew a bit slower than the Niger.

12. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Eish dam newbie :blush:

13. Muz

Muz

yeah, hold on.

With these triggers you have to be careful.. I am only adding the hawiian Black trigger because it is my last fish to go in. If you have some of these species and then add in a few gobies or something small they will more than likely not make it.. you have to be careful with new additions.

14. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Been reading about that, most of the articles I have read have said first add in the "weaker" fish let them settle let them get their homes. Then add the more aggressive fish and add them as babies (or smaller than the fish in the tank) to.

15. FransSny

FransSny

Kept a Picasso, Pinktail , Niger and Clown trigger in a mixed reef. The only issues I had is no CUC ...(hell as you put down a snail they chomp it to bits !)

As for corals they leave the corals alone , but when going after whatever they see inside / on the rock they can be quite destructive.....

Awesome fish to have :)

16. Suhayl

Suhayl

I guess one should have an oversized skimmer for the tank as these fish will crap allot. I will be scared to put my hands inside a tank with triggers as sometimes they can give nasty bites.

17. FransSny

FransSny

As with any predator your filtration system needs to be able to cope with the nutrient load (due to what you are feeding) as well as their messy feeding habits...so yip you are correct in a sense

18. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

out of personal experience i will NEVER put a picasso trigger in a reef display again. They normally start out placid and then start with their nonsens. They dont "eat" the corals but they have very powerful jaws and create havoc by rearranging everything.

As far as im concerned (personal experience) all the one from the genus Balistapus are not reef friendly.

Sorry for confusing you even more, but just remember each fish has its own personality.

19. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

got a clown & niger, they cool as ice. Only problem i had was with the clown when he decided to frag my Kenya Tree, apart from that, no issues but as atilla said, they have their own personality. I added a CBB, Mandarin & scopas tang after the 2 triggers were well established in the tank, no hassles..... thats my experience with triggers. I would suggest put them in last or as juvi's....

Recent Posts