Do I need a chiller to keep corals?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by salty donut, 4 Jun 2011.

1. salty donut

salty donut

i live in the Eastern Cape P.E. will i need to buy a chiller to keep corals?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. superfrog

superfrog

Only if the water temperature in the tank consistently rises too high out of the optimum range (+-26 degrees celcius). Remember that the key to keeping corals/inverts/fish happy is stability in water parameters, including temperature

All depends on ambient temperature of the room, summer temperatures in your region, heat generated by pumps, etc...

A chiller just cools down water when it gets too hot (opposite of a heater). Some chillers provide heating and cooling in one unit. I've personally never used a chiller. Always had excellent results with evaporative cooling using 12VDC PC fans. Temperatures on my tanks never deviate from 26.5 degrees whether its winter or summer, but that's just me.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

One of the number one reasons tanks overheat is due to the lightning. Metal Halide units are mostly more a culprit than T5 units.

Can also use evaporative cooling via an algae scrubber. But then you do need a ATU with big enough reservoir.

5. Elrond

Elrond

salty - I live in Cape Town and have come to the sad realization that I need a chiller. Some of my leathers took strain at the end of summer. The tank got to about 30 degrees (hard to be sure because each digital thermometer varies by 2-3 degrees between them) I tried putting frozen coke bottles in the sump, but this only worked to lower the temperature by 1 or so degrees for an hour and then it would start to climb again. My lounge is however one of the warmer places in my house. I have an airconditioner, but this is a very ineffective way to keep the system cool.

To summarize - you may or may not need a chiller :tt2:

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

It may depend on lighting used, where the tank is situated and the heat in the room the tank is placed in, but ultimatley temperature is king if you cant controll that then you can forget about running a flourishing reef..

So a chiller may be a necessity, but you could try use fans and evapouration cooling... only time will tell..

7. Tony

Tony

Guys also keep too many heaters in their tanks when it's hot because they think the heater is off when the water is warm. I used to battle a bit with overheating and removed all my heaters bar one in summer and my temperature/overheating problems went away with a 1 degree fluctuation between lights on and off. A lot of regular heaters are very inaccurate when it comes to the temperature the heater is set to and the actual temperature. I only run one 300w Jager heater in summer for a 700 litre system.

Now to really throw a spanner in the works. How many guys use decent thermometers to measure the water temp. A lot of guys have tens of thousands of rands of stock in their tank and use one of those cheapo thermometers whether it be digital or analogue to measure the water temp. A decent calibrated thermometer will cost about R300 to 500 bucks

8. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

as a RSM owner, YES YOU NEED ONE

the tank will run close to 30 without one.

Coral reefs are between 25 to 27 degrees and your corals will NOT be happy up 28/29 degrees.

I learnt the hard way, so my advice is go for a chiller.

Recent Posts