Do i have too?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by dallasg, 17 Dec 2010.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi,

if i am making fake rock with white cement etc, and i cover it all in epoxy, do i need to soak it for weeks> or will a few days do?

thanks
    Dallas

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

You would need to test the PH of the water first.....I would think..... will the epoxy not prolong the curing of the cement? If it were me I would rather wait to be sure first...

4. Annoying

Annoying

Firstly what type of cement did you use? This can vary greatly on how the PH can change. I normally use poolcrete and color hardener for the reason that they don't influence the water quality that much. I would say soak the rock for a week in freshwater and then place it in the tank and set the skimmer on wet. It worked for my tank.

5. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

cool, i dont have patience as it is, can i get this from builders warehouse?

6. Annoying

Annoying

Yes you should, if they don't have poolcrete you can ask for any cement they use to make cement pools, a pools ph is just that important as a tank's so any cement used in a pool will work for the rock.

7. Manic

Manic Moderator

Ive used that white cement before and attached sps to it a week after it has hardened. The sps encrusted quickly so I guess you can assume there was that much leeching from it.

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

if you covering it epoxy then theoretically the cement will never be in contact with the water, so you shouldnt see the pH swings etc.

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

and thus could use it after a few days instead of the normal cement curing time

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

when i use concrete blocks for scaping it put fish in withinn 2 weeks and all is fine. not sure if this is applicable to what you asking but just thought id offer my experience.

11. seank

seank

My Input.....

A lot of members on here Forum said that I need to cure my DIY Rock for a long time.
    I have 7500lt of water running thru my system for the last couple of weeks (months). 3 weeks after I put the DIY rock in, I added some freshwater fish to see if the water would be ok (freshwater for the curing process). Bare in mind I emptied the tank twice during the three weeks.

The freshwater fish basically "burned" to death within the 1st day of being introduced. I am still running freshwater (zillionth time that I emptied all the water and re-filled) and am still too scared to change to saltwater as 2 "cheapish" freshwater fish I introduced last week also died. Still leaching too much....

Btw, this is my 2 cents

Last edited: 18 Dec 2010
  12. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks all!

i am going to make it from cement, let it dry etc, then cover in epoxy and once dry i will cover in silicone and aragonite etc...

Recent Posts