Do I, Don't I

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Shaun, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

After reading some threads, It looks like one can not over skim. I want to change my skimmer for for a better one. My tank only holds around 550l do I get a skimmer rated 700L or pay R 845 more for one rated for 1200L?

Also does anybody use a "Becket" type skimmer. Just wondering if I should go for the tried and tested neadle wheel. Can the becket one get clogged as it uses nozzels?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SIMS

SIMS

No Idea on Beckets but IMO Bigger is better - My tank holds less than 600l (probably about 500 after sand and rock) I have an AM1000 and a Reef Octo...total rated for 2500l....

4. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

If your tank is 550L you should definitely get a skimmer rated for more than 700L. The general "rule of thumb" is get the biggest skimmer you can afford... I suppose the other rule of thumb is get a skimmer rated for double your tank capacity or future tank capacity.

5. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I would also recommend the bigger skimmer. As for beckett style skimmers the only draw back i have ever read about are the large pumps needed to run them.

6. millepora

millepora

I do agree. Good skimming really is (or should be) the hart of your system. Therefore don’t compromise with skimmer choice or size. Look for something that is proven to work hard but at a reasonable price, in other words. BANG for your BUCK.

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree.go for the biggest skimmer you can afford.the reefoctopus DNW200 is an awsome skimmer and reasonably priced

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have always lived by the philosopy of bigger is better when it comes to most things needed for a reef tank.. personally i run a AM baby rated to do 2500lt on a 800lt system and still want to add a second skimmer to wet skim....

9. Shaun

Shaun Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Thanks, was going for DNW150 DNW200 or the BK200. Look like it will be the DNW200.

Want a skimmer that will do more than 4800l per hour, as my return is that.

10. Shaun

Shaun Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Look like the BK200 needs a pressure pump, so that is out don't know anything about them. Anybe I will ask Andrew.

11. Tridan

Tridan

Had a small skimmer in my tank for years and it worked, but i had to do most of the work. upgraded recently and everything just got better, including my water parameters. So bigger is better.

Recent Posts