Do fish mind noise?? (loud TV, surround sound etc)

Reaction score
If I were to relocate my fishtank (to the TV room for example)

Would the large tv (42") and surround sound bother them??

Tanks getting a bit too loud for my bedroom (with the chiller etc sounding like a washing machine!

Yes, it can affect the fish, sudden vibration may spook the fish, i had to move one of my speakers as it was too near the tank and it did make some of the fish jump about.

in my case,the subwoofer for my home theathre system is sitiing direcly behind the tank,was supposed to have moved it out a long time ago but cant get there.i would say it isnt all that good,no particular reason to backup my statement though

no problem with noise

If I were to relocate my fishtank (to the TV room for example)

Would the large tv (42") and surround sound bother them??

Tanks getting a bit too loud for my bedroom (with the chiller etc sounding like a washing machine!
Hi freind mine does not mine at all i have got my tv and surround system right next to it, that is a yamaha and the noise they love it when my music comes on they begin to dance

I cannot imagine that it would be good for the fish, they might stop being jumpy after a while, but the same way soldiers stop being jumpy after being bombed for 4 days solid. Not jumpy, but doesnt mean they not stressed.

Well I never pump the system too loud, but for EPIC movies it's nice to have some sound :lol:

I have my 24G JBJ Tank in my bedroom for now (its dead quiet without the chiller) but since intalling the chiller it sounds a bit like a washing machine when its on!

Needless to say its not too ideal for sleeping or studying... I think maybe I should put the tank in the TV room?

Suggestions?

Ok mixed opinion here. can I have my tank in the same room as the TV? (plus home theatre system)
?

I'll do that (plus its a mission moving this thing) so will take everything into consideration!)

I love this tank to bits, but if its going to affect my sleep/studies then i've got a problem...

Maybe I could place the chiller outside? How would one do this? Would I need a crazy powerful pump to run it?

If I have the tank in the corner on the opposite wall to the TV it should be ok?

in my case,the subwoofer for my home theathre system is sitiing direcly behind the tank,was supposed to have moved it out a long time ago but cant get there.i would say it isnt all that good,no particular reason to backup my statement though

The sub is the only problem. If the sub gets down to some low frequencies (18-25Hz), these travel through almost any type of material including glass and water. These long sound waves are going shake up the water and LR in your tank, and in extreme cases can cause damage to the actual tank.

I also think its not so bad!! the sea makes more noise than most sound systems

I have 2 tanks in my living room - the exact same room where I have my home theatre system. I have actually watched the fish when a movie is on - and they don't behave ANY differently to when there's no sound. I think a fish get accustomed to the living environment they are in - just as they they would acclimitize to the water temp, chemicals, etc - they acclimitize to the noise levels. You guys should hear how noisy it could be with a lot of SCUBA diving boats roaring overhead when we dive, and with the bubbles also making a HUGE noise, no fish really stress out or scatter.

I can imagine a new fish that's JUST been added to a tank, being skittish and a bit stressed out by the noise - but after a few days they see that there's nothing that's going to eat them, they then relax and don't mind the noise anymore......

The only things that make my fish scatter is sudden movements right in front of the tank - as well as kids banging against the tank glass - not the noise, but the sudden movement makes them stress up a little bit...

Back
Top Bottom