Do all shrimp have larvae?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It looks like my shrimps had babies last night...
Looks like the cleaner shrimps and the camel shrimps had babies at the same time..found both their maults..

Now I have seen the cleaner shrimp larvae before..definately little larvae wriggling around ect, but this morning there where fully formed little shrimps swimming around.
I have to conclude that they where the camel shrimp babies.

Now do camel shrimps have fully formed little shrimps?
I'm guessing this will make them easier to raise...

No pics, half impossible to snap one...they about 2-3mm in size.

Hi Lappies - Congratulations man! Look - you can surely try and raise the shrimps, if you want to. You must just make sure that you have enough green water (phytoplankton) and rotifiers to feed the shrimp.
I have never heard of anyone successfully raising baby shrimp. BUT- there can always be a first time.

So - if you want to give this a shot - by all means! Just keep us updated!

Good luck man!

Thanks Jaqie

It was strange to see these ones fully formed already...
I can imagine the difficulties with like cleaner shrimp larvae, but maybe these will be easier..

I'll do some internet searching.

Yeah I'll give it a shot next time they hatch. This time it was all fish food...

My cleaners spawn every 10 days...i also think it is too difficult to raise them...I think it was Hennie who had them up to 10 days...best so far...

Has anyone had camel shrimp spawn before?

Scarlet cleaners and fire shrimp have both been raised before, I think Coral Banded Shrimp possibly also. I don't know about Camel Shrimp?

My Boxing shrimps spawn every few weeks,but never seen any fry in the tank,guess they just end up as food for the tank....

There is quite a bit of info if you google, be specific about the species or you will get a lot of freshwater stuff. I intend to get scarlet cleaners as a source of larvae for food for Banggai and seahorse fry. After seeing that Peppermints are so easy it might be better to use them as they would have the benefit of eating aiptasia and I am sure would also nail hydroids. This would enable one to not need a butterfly or angel to reduce aiptasia populations.

Back
Top Bottom