DNW 200 air intake

Reaction score
Hi all

I need to possibly extend the air intake hose of my DNW 200 skimmer. Currently the skimmer is standing inside a newly built cabinet. The air inside the cabinet obviously gets warm and humid, so for this reason I'd like to move the air intake either outside of the cabinet, or even outside of the house.

Now, if I move it outside of the cabinet it will get "cooler" air. The air will still be vulnerable to household sprays etc.(Everyone in the house knows to stay away from the tank with that stuff.)

Second option is to extend the hose to outside of the house. Only about a 2m extension. This way the skimmer will get "semi fresh" and cooler air. By that I mean as clean as air can get given car fumes and pollution etc. I don't know if this is such a good idea though...

The last option would be killing two flies with one shot. I need to install an extractor fan in the ceiling to take care of the warm, humid air. I can drill two portholes at the bottom of the cabinet that would let fresh air in as the extractor fan sucks the warm air out. Maybe the best option I think...

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Hi JD167! You can run the pipe outside if you want to. I read some years back on one of the overseas forums, the guys were running their venturi's outside so that the tank will receive cool, fresh oxygen. So I say it is fine! My main concern is, insects jamming the venturi.

Hi JD167! You can run the pipe outside if you want to. I read some years back on one of the overseas forums, the guys were running their venturi's outside so that the tank will receive cool, fresh oxygen. So I say it is fine! My main concern is, insects jamming the venturi.

Thanks Mek. The hose has got a silencer cap on the end so I think it will protect the intake from insects. I'm just a little concerned about car fumes etc.

JD - my opinion would be to do the extractor fan thing, in any case.... would help a lot with the humidity, heat, and assist with the skimmer.... You can always still put a air-blower (which is located either outside, or close to outside - these usually have a carbon-type air-filter in any case to clean the air), and connect the airpump/blower to the inlets of your skimmer... ;) This will give your skimmer a huge boost, as well as supply clean, dry fresh air).....

JD - my opinion would be to do the extractor fan thing, in any case.... would help a lot with the humidity, heat, and assist with the skimmer.... You can always still put a air-blower (which is located either outside, or close to outside - these usually have a carbon-type air-filter in any case to clean the air), and connect the airpump/blower to the inlets of your skimmer... ;) This will give your skimmer a huge boost, as well as supply clean, dry fresh air).....

Good idea Jacques. Like you said, I need to do the extractor fan thing anyway. :)

i discussed this with a friend a while ago but we were trying to find a way to place the air intake in the freezer.. it dident happen as neither of us wanted to drill a hole in the deep freeze.. (obviously it would have been 2 holes to allow air to be pulled to the skimmer and new air to come into the freezer..

the extractor is probably the better of the 2 idea's. my 2c

i discussed this with a friend a while ago but we were trying to find a way to place the air intake in the freezer.. it dident happen as neither of us wanted to drill a hole in the deep freeze.. (obviously it would have been 2 holes to allow air to be pulled to the skimmer and new air to come into the freezer..

the extractor is probably the better of the 2 idea's. my 2c

Interesting idea Les! :) Summer time I'm sure that would work great in cooling the water down and also send clean air to the skimmer.

I might be doing a combination of my above mentioned options. I bought an extractor fan yesterday that I'll install in the ceiling. I will also extend the skimmer air intake to the outside of the cabinet. If I can find a spot outside that I feel will not affect the skimmer in a bad way, I'll take the air hose outside. During summer months I'll then move it back inside if it gets too hot.

Back
Top Bottom